We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan hire in Winter

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Campervan hire in Winter

I have travelled to New Zealand several times already and love the place hence my next trip...

2 adults a 7 yr old and a 2 yr old in a 4 berth van...am worried about the cold at night? How do they work?

Don't mind paying for a good van - suggestions?

The best camper spots, have heard some have playgrounds etc - just to let off some steam at the end of a day!

Will do the South Island - probably 2 weeks...

thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan hire in Winter

Maui is an excellent company.

I find the biggest problem with a campervan in winter is condensation. You heat the space, it drips condensation. You open a window for ventilation you freeze while you get dripped on.

The Top 10 campsites have playgrounds plus many have rec rooms for the kids to play after dark. http://www.camping.org.nz/ (they also have heated motel units and cabins for when/if you regain your sanity and decide to sleep indoors).

Just remember that while the daytime temps can be nippy the sun is still strong and your wee ones can get sunburnt. Also a good kid's face cream and lip moisturiser applied daily will help protect them from the cold. Overnight temps will be 0 to -11C, depending on where you go and which month you travel. Thermals will be necessary - woollen thermals are far more effective than polypropylene.

Roads will be icy morning and night. Best not to drive before 10am and after dark. Ensure you have snow chains and you know how to fit them.

You are either very brave or extremely crazy. Best of luck :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,754 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan hire in Winter

I too am one of the "very brave or extremely crazy" people. We have hired a 6 berth van for 3 people to give us more space as the prices are very good in winter and for a few extra dollars we will appreciate the extra space over 3 weeks. We made sure we hired a motorhome with both gas and electric heating so that way we have heating for the times we are not in a park for the evening. The company we are hiring from are providing extra bedding. I am sure we will need it!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan hire in Winter

I've camped in a heavy frost in both a Camper and a Caravan. The camper had a diesel heater and the caravan gas. We left the heater on low and a window slightly open and it was toasty! The window open prevents the condensation.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,754 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan hire in Winter

I'm not overly concerned about the condensation given we have a larger camper and will do as you say NZMike and leave a window slightly open. I am sure the condensation would be a bigger issue if we had a small camper.

Looking forward to being in the south island for a great holiday!

5. Re: Campervan hire in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:16