We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland for first time visitor!

Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland for first time visitor!

Greetings all from Adelaide!

I am visiting New Zealand for the first time in just over 2 months and am getting pretty excited about it!!

I will be doing a tour of both islands with Kirra Tours and it ends in Auckland on the 21st August. I will be staying at Rydges Auckland for a further 5 nights. I have a few plans already in place on what to do whilst in auckland for the first time (ill be going to the zoo on the 21st doing the cheetah experience), including the skywalk at skytower and the museum and probably will do some shopping...haha!

Just wondering what the night life is like, especially for a single female travelling alone? I am not really into the clubbing scene but enjoy a good meal at a pub with some music. Any ideas?

What about a TripAdvisor regular get together for a meal/drink while I am there? I depart Auckland on the morning of the 26th August 2012. I am also hoping to get tickets to the all blacks match on the 25th august in auckland.

Cheers!!

Go the All Blacks!

Rachel H

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

Hi Rachel. Re catching up with people in Auckland. The website Meetup is an online site where individuals can inform others of meetings and events. The events have nothing to do with the website itself. You will find a lot of special interest groups in Auckland on the site. You might find something which interests you.

http://www.meetup.com/cities/nz/auckland/

It might be a good idea to use the Meetup site to set up an incountry TripAdvisor group. Could be interesting. Lets see what others think.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

I think that it's been several years since the previous Auckland TA meetup. The Auckland DE's will know more. And if you mention the rugby as well, that should get the ball rolling!

Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

Thanks to you both for the great replies so far.

I was hoping for a catch up with regular TA members in auckland, even if its just for a drink or a meal. It would be fun to spend some time with some locals (and of course, including those who dont live in auckland but are visiting from other parts of NZ).

A lot of people think that because you are from australia you immediately follow the australian wallabies in rugby...but i dont...haha!! I know more about the all blacks than i do about the wallabies and have been following the all blacks for a few years now. I would LOVE to attend a game when i am there and that's why i planned the tour for august, because of the all blacks game in auckland on the 25th.

I'll be in auckland on my own during those 5 days so i'm hoping for one night to relax in the beautiful city of Auckland and that i dont just spend it in sky city or the hotel room. :)

Cheers for now.

GO THE ALL BLACKS.

RH

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

As much as I hate to say it, there are some decent pubs at the Viaduct that do decent food and have a bit of music on.

Try Danny Doolans or O'Hagans, Fox's does a good feed as well but is more into its sport than music.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

Hi

I "organised+ the last TA get together in Auckland about 18 months ago if I recall.

Happy to do so again.

I will put up a new post - Thursday 23rd August or Friday 24th would be possible dates.

Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

Hi Lonekaurilodge

Sorry didn't reply sooner. i saw your post re a TA get together in auckland.

Either of those dates would be fine with me. i am hoping to get a ticket to the all blacks game on the evening of the 25th.

Keep in touch.

xxx

rachel H

7. Re: Auckland for first time visitor!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:42