We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland City-Tauranga

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Auckland City-Tauranga

I will be travelling with my wife from Auckland to Tauranga in early November for an overnight stay and was wondering whether public transport would be cheaper than hiring a car and driving.

Thanks

Paul

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

If you hire a budget rental car that would be cheaper, also it is nice to have a rental car to explore around Tauranga and The Mount.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

The journey from Auckland to Tauranga is made more interesting when you do a loop tour using either SH 1 or SH 27, then SH 29 to Tauranga and taking SH 2 back towards Auckland, or vice versa.

Tauranga and Mt Maunganui as are all of the Bay of Plenty coastline equally,is a lovely part of NZ. All of this area retains a rich Maori history as well as a vibrant modern day culture. Scenery-wise you cant beat the BOP beaches, sea breeze, lakes and rivers, native bush and diversity in outdoor activities. BOP includes the volcanic region s well as the coastline. A big area in fact.

Enjoy your travels.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 08:21
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

Thank you AntipodeanAnn and Frangipani08 for your good advice

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

If staying in Tauranga, would recommend you make a reservation at Trinity Wharf Tauranga. Great hotel that is situated on the edge of the harbour, awesome restaurant and free on-site parking. Have stayed there a number of times and love it. www.trinitywharf.co.nz

Edited: 19 August 2012, 09:31
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

Thanks very much for your recommendation 2NZexplorers.

NZ
Level Contributor
169 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

You may find driving a little different in NZ from London. From experience in the UK most intercity roads a dual carriage ways. This is not the case across the majority of New Zealand, outside of the main cities. Driving is easy and i dont want to put you off, but if you are not a confident driver you may want to think about options to ensure you really enjoy your trip. It is great to have a car and I wouldn't do it any other way but driving on a single carriage way, at open road speed on roads with no layby can be daunting for some visitors. Make sure you get a GPS and use it as this has been a marriage saver when my husband and I travel.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

Thanks for the tip Greenfieldson

8. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 22:35
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

British drivers are more courteous.

San Diego
Level Contributor
357 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland City-Tauranga

Hi Greenfieldsontour,

We will be in NZ for a month and your posting has me a little worried. We are from the USA but I have driven in England, Ireland and Australia.

What is a "dual carriage" road and a "single carriage" road and what is a "layby". Maybe then I can figure out if I will be comfortable.

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central
Recent Conversations