We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

Will be in Paihai from Dec 7-14 for the first time. Is there any reason to take our car to Russell for a day trip?

We will likely also make a trip to Cape Regina - should we do self-drive or take a bus tour?

Thank you for your help.

Joyce

Auckland Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
GreatSights New Zealand Day Tours
Boat Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Auckland City Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

For a day trip to Russel take the ferry and leave your car in Paihia. It will be cheaper and avoid the long drive around to Opua and then to Russell on the other side of the harbour.

I have done the Paihia to the Cape Trip both by car and by bus. AS the driver I missed a lot of what was happening and we also missed the 90 mile beach and Te Paki stream sand dunes which is really a significant part of the trip. If you have a rental car you are forbidden from driving on 90 mile beach.

Sitting in the bus you are higher up, relaxed and are taken to all the necessary touristy spots you need to see and you get priority at the Mongonui fish shop on the retun trip.

This may be the only time you visit the far north so do it properly. The Cape is definitely a special spiritual space.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

Thank you for your comments - bus tour it is. Any suggestion of particular company to use for the bus tour? Any way to get a discount, like booking online directly with the company, on a discount tour website, or at the hotel?

Joyce

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

For the day trip to Russell, its a toss up whether to take your car or not - you can easily park in Paihia and take the passenger ferry over to Russell, and walk round the main part of the town very easily with no need for your car....

But the SHORT drive to Opua and the car ferry, and SHORT drive the other side to Russell gives you the option of going to a couple of the slightly out of town place such as the Oyster farm, Omata Estate winery, drive up Flag staff Hill if the walk looks too strenuous, drive to Long Beach, drive down the old Russell Road to some amazing areas of unspoilt coast....

It will cost a couple of dollars more to take your car, but I reckon it opens up a few more possibilities if you do.....

Cape Reinga - this is the one and only situation that I will ever say that I would recommend the organised bus tour over self drive !!

There might be discount (10%) offers in AATRAVEL guides or ARRIVAL magazine (which you will be given on arrival at Auckland airport) can't guarantee it though.....

4. Re: Car or passenger ferry to Russell?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:19