We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

We are going to be in the North Island for 2.5 weeks and 4 weeks in the South Island. For 3 of the weeks, we will be in timeshares, but the remainder of the trip we will be on a road trip stopping 1 to 3 nights along the way. While we love to eat at restaurants, this is just not sustainable for such a long trip due to $$$. As such, I have made reservations at motels that at least have kitchenettes with a hot plate, electric fry pan, or outside BBQ area.

We will eat breakfast in and try to pack sandwiches and drinks for picnic lunches. While we will certainly eat at restaurants periodically - does NZ have ready made food at grocery stores, fast food places, or carryouts that are cheaper than restaurants? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When in more remote areas such as Omapere or Leigh - are there always supermarkets to purchase food to do a quick meal. What time would the grocery stores close at night?

Thank you for your help.

Joyce

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

I can't remember if it was you or another poster who was asking about places to buy a " chilly bin" near AKL. They are great for carrying butter, cheese, ham etc from place to place.

All the big supermarkets have readymade pasta dishes, great fresh pasta sauces, ready to cook prepared chicken pieces such as chicken kiev; ready- made salads or those great stand-bys, frozen pizza and rotiserrie- cooked hot chickens! There are some nice "home-style" soups in plastic pouches in the chillers too. Kumara & coiander- yum!

In the more remote areas you might have to go for dry pasta and a jar of sauce!. If there is a BBQ try some NZ lamb chops or steaks - definitely not cheap but so good. Do also try fresh NZ salmon, preferably bought from the farm.

If you like wholegrain bread do try NZ's favourite, Vogel bread!,

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

Obviously not every day but almost everywhere you will find a take out fish and chips shop, usually good quality, generous serves and quite reasonable pricing

London, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

In Auckland, Taupo, Wellington and probably Rotorua there are tasty lebanese take-away places selling warm vegetarian or meat wraps. They're about $5 and seriously tasty. I travelled through some fairly remote areas in NZ by camper van and found some good places to pull up that had kitchens or BBQs. Some even had convenience stores on sight, these were a bit more expensive than the supermarket but sometimes it worked out the same if you're having to pay for fuel to travel miles to find one!

I put a list of these places on my blog. FYI- the places in Coromandal, Taupo, Napier, Marahau and Wanaka's Mount Aspiring all had convenience stores.

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Hope this helps!

London, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

Also - I may have stated these are camper van spots but all the holiday parks listed had chalets to stay in.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

You can find cheap eats most places.

I enjoy making my own pizza dough and adding my favourite toppings. But with the weekly special here in Nelson I can pick up a large pizza from the local Dominos for just $4.99 - it makes making my own un-economic.

Pies are to Kiwis what hot dogs are to Americans, a quick and easy lunch. Some gourmet pies are quite pricy but my local corner store sells a pie with can of coke for just $3.

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

could you share the link to these Lebanese places on both north and south islands.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

Wow, we can live on shawarma and pizza for $5 per meal. We love both and they are always very filling. Dominos is fine - I certainly don't need the $15 gourmet pizzas - LOL! Thank you so much for the suggestons..

I often ate Shawarma for the 3 months I worked in the UK which was a popular takeaway food - cheap and large. Eating at restaurants there was very expensive and served itsy bitsy portions. There was a Thai restaurant I liked but their mains were served on a saucer - about one third the size of a US portion. To top it off, you had to pay extra for rice. In the US, you get rice with the meal and an extra rice is $1 - but in the UK, the rice was like $3-$4 -what a ripoff. Honestly, rice is so cheap.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

We frequently ate out at lunch then had wine, cheese and fruit for dinner. The grocery stores had great deals on local wines--$9 for a bottle that would cost $40+ in a restaurant. We got frozen pasta dinners a couple of times, then added a salad. After a day of sightseeing, it is nice to relax at home. We bought big bags of NZ apples...they are great!

In Queenstown, try the early dinner at Tatler...it is very good with several nice choices for $20--a big discount.

Have to admit we had McDonalds one time...and did it taste good!!

Sounds like a fun trip!!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

I don't know about Omapere but Leigh most certainly does not have a supermarket. Leigh is not far down the road from Matakana, however, which has a morning Farmers' Market every Saturday where you can pick up pre-made lunch or items to make your own, including cheese, breads, etc. If you will not be there on a Saturday it is not too far to a supermarket in Warkworth.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating Cheap for a 7-week trip

Omapere/Opononi have a 4-Square (convenience) store and there are a couple of cafes, two takeways and at least one pub.

Around the country, there will be very few places where you can't get something to eat for around $10 - all cities will have their Asian cafes doing various meals with rice or noodles, most will have kebab places for about the same (I can't say I've ever seen them as cheap as $5) and then there is the ubiquitous fish and chip shop and you have to get into fairly small towns before there isn't at least one of the chains fast food places (Subway, McD's and KFC are probably vying with each other for the greatest spread across the country).