We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland in August

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland in August

Hi all I'm flying from Aus to Auckland 1st August for 4 days, I live in the tropics of far North Queensland and know Auckland is going to be pretty cold as to what I'm used to here. My question, I need to buy some thermal tops, how heavy should I go with these please? We intend seeing snow planet which I know I can hire gear from but I also want to get about and see as much as I can elsewhere around Auckland. From Auckland I'm heading to Samoa for a week and then to Fiji for another week, so I don't want my suitcases to heavy with thermals.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland in August

I spend most of my days outside and don't use my thermals unless I am going further south. I get by quite happily with a cotton singlet, merino or cotton shirt and and a fleece or windproof jacket and jeans. I also have a thin waterproof raincoat that i can put over my layers. As I am usually outside by 7am when the temperature is at its coldest I also have gloves and a hat.

You will no doubt feel the cold more than locals but I don't think you need to go overboard buying thermals especially if you will not have the opportunity to use them again.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland in August

Auckland doesn't get that cold, on the worst days of the year I would be in a long sleeved shirt, hat and a winter jacket.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 05:39
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland in August

Have you been to Melbourne in late July or early August?? Weather (as in coldness) very similar to Auckland.

If you wish to be organised, suggest you could a) buy merino 'undershirts' online (I buy mine from :: carolineeve.co.nz/product/… and get delivered to your Auckland hotel or b) buy upon arrival Auckland shop at local Caroline Eve clothing store, or buy cheap PickABerry tops from The Warehouse (there's a store near the airport). Also pack a pashmina or shawl - with doing the layered look, you won't need a big bulky jacket. A pashmina or shawl will give you warmth.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland in August

Glassons is another chain worth looking at for good value merino, and they have stores in central Auckland. Make sure you have a windproof jacket - a zip up the front tends to be better than buttons.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland in August

I lived in Auckland for over 40 years and if you are coming from Townsville you will find it very cold . All the comments on here have been from locals who probably don't think it is cold. The same people come to to Gold Coast in August and think it is boiling at 22 degrees.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland in August

My two home towns are Wellington and Sydney, so no, I don't think 22 degrees is boiling. I found it difficult to buy winter clothing in Sydney which does get cold, as so much was acrylic, rather than wool, and had design features which made it useless in the slightest breeze, hence my recommendations to Tropical_lass who probably has even less choice of warm clothing in Townsville.

Two layers of merino are much warmer than a chunky loose knit acrylic jumper, and a jacket that zips up to the neck is a lot warmer than something with lapels and a button at the waist, no matter how thick the material. Putting on some layers (long sleeved tee, sweatshirt, jacket or coat, tights under jeans) and then going shopping on arrival is probably the best strategy.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland in August

Thanks for the replies and no I've not been to Sydney or Melbourne as such, only stopped at the airports in December for 2 hours. Anything thermal I need to buy online as we don't have it here in townsville. I do own one warm jacket now and 2 pair of jeans. When the temps get down to 18 degrees in the tropics I am cold.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland in August

I was just looking at some photos of some friends from Perth's visit to Auckland in winter two years ago and they are wearing clothing as I described above. One of them spends a lot of time in Pakistan and finds Perth cold but I have photos of him wearing a tee shirt with a jacket over the top.

If we have a frost the temperature can get to single digits at night but generally during the day it rises to around 15 celcius.

I think your most important item of clothing will be a wind and waterproof jacket.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland in August

Thanks Ann

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland in August

layers and waterproof jacket!

melbourne has frequently lower temps than aucks in winter and i don't regard 22c as boiling hot either lol