We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Auckland

Dubai, United Arab...
3 posts
Save Topic
Around Auckland

Hi. Am planning to vist NZ wid family in Aug '13. Leaving AKL at around 9:00 in the morn, I'd like to come back 20:00 next day, touring around Waitomo Caves, Taupo, Rotorua, Agrodome, and Matamata. Can any of you suggest some small tour operator, or private driver who can help us with this tailored trip? I'm definitely a good driver, but I have all along been driving on left side, with left steering; with family accompanying, I wouldn't chance driving on the right on unknown terrain. More over, do keep in mind that we'll be having substantial luggage with us. Thanking in anticipation.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Auckland

Under no circumstances should you think about driving in NZ. Surely in Dubai, you should be driving on the right hand side of the road, like the other motorists, not the left as you have stated. In NZ, we drive on the left, not the right as you seem to think.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Auckland

I think it was obvious what the poster meant...referring to left-hand drive & right hand drive vehicles.....

Personally I think you should seriously consider renting a car and self-driving as this is far the most flexible and rewarding way to see NZ.

Many many 10s of thousands of tourists come to NZ from a 'left hand drive vehicle' country, and very comfortably make the switch to driving a 'right hand drive vehicle'.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,694 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Auckland

In NZ every year I use StarR Tours who are Hamilton based and have mini buses that would be very comfortable for 4-10 people. Selwyn & Jeanette are fabulous people. Www.starrtours.co.nz

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Auckland

Nothing obvious at all Andy. I would not like to see the OP driving on the right in NZ as was stated. You might like to view this humorous take on driving in Dubai. It would appear that you can drive on either side there.

…blogspot.co.nz/2009/…dubai-driving-tips.html

Dubai, United Arab...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Auckland

Hi Andy. Hey Wigwam3. Thanks for both your help as well as concern. Sorry, 'twas a typo; we drive left hand steerings with right - hand side of the road moving ahead. Gact is, I'm basically from India where traffic directions and use of Roundabouts are similar to yours, so I'm not alien to that. But as I said, I don't wanna take chances.

6. Re: Around Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:17