We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Auckland

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Auckland

Hello,

I will be going to NZ, Dunedin to be exact on 27th September. Me and a friend plan to stay for 2 nights in Auckland before taking domestic flight to Dunedin. My questions are:

1. Is it ok to stay in Novotel hotel at the airport for 2 nights since we will arrive quite late at night. Then take a bus to city center the next morning.

2. We plan to do sightseeing, take ferrry to Davenport, And can you suggest other must do things in Auckland.

3. Or is it possible to do a day trip to Rotorua And Hobbit place? I know it is pretty ambitious right.

Thank you!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Auckland

Hi there

It would be a good idea to stay at the Novotel the 1st night, if you arrive late, taking the AIRBUS into town the next morning, but you will really want to be staying in the CBD the 2nd night.

So if you prefer to stay in the same hotel for 2 nights, take the bus as soon as you get off the plane and stay somewhere in the CBD.

Auckland has a whole load of great things to do - hard to say what are 'must dos' as it depends what you like.

A circular tour on the Explorer hop on/ hop off bus is a good idea as you can then get off and spend time at any areas you fancy.

Its possible to do a day trip to Rotorua and MataMata (Hobbiton) but you would need to leave exceptionally early and it would be a huge day (you would want to rent a car).

If you decide to do that, stay at the airport hotel as the airport is well south of the main part of the city so easier to drive to Rotorua from there.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Auckland

You can do a bus tour to either Hobbiton or Rotorua from Auckland, but not both if wanting to return to Auckland the same day.

There are a number of tours to choose from. Enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,281 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Auckland

Have you booked your flight to Dunedin yet? If not it would be sensible to do the one way Hobbiton Tour: AKL to Matamata to Rotorua on your 2 nd day then fly from Rotorua to Dunedin on the 3rd day! If you have already booked you could get the tour back to AKL: 8:00-17:10

intercity.co.nz/tours/…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Auckland

Thank you guys for the reply.

I just couldn't get hobbiton/Matamata out of my head. So, upon arrival around 11pm on 27thnSept,, i take a bus to city center. Get a budget hotel. The next morning take a ferry to davenport. Coming back from Davenport, take a bus to Matamata at 1pm at Sky City Coach Terminal. Will arrive at Matamata at 4.09 pm, for a short Hobbiton tour. Is this possible? Then, should i go back to Auckland or go to Rotorua, find a accomodation and take a flight to Dunedin the next morning?

Or should i take the bus to Matamata early in the morning? Is there any direct bus from airport to Matamata?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Auckland

For information, zhuhai2007, we have not book the ticket to Dunedin yet. And have no plan to rent a car. We are seriously thinking about a one-way Hobbiton tour, Aucklan-Matamata-Rotorua.

And on the third day, to Dunedin.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,281 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Auckland

Yes, that is what I recommend:

Shuttle bus in to the city on the 27th; No time for Devonport Ferry.

28th 8am Intercity coach to Matamata; tour Hobbition; coach to Rotorua (or back to AKL)

29th quick look around Rotorua - maybe time to visit Whakarewarewa? PM flight to Dunedin. ( or if you return to AKL, time for the Devonport Ferry & then flight to Dunedin).

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Auckland

Is there an earlier coach service to Matamata from the Auckland terminus (Skycity)? I suggest you set out for Hobbiton earlier than 1pm if possible to make the most of the day. www.intercity.co.nz.

Following Hobbiton, continue on to Rotorua for the thermal attractions surrounding that city on day 2 before catching a flight south to Dunedin on day 3 - www.airnewzealand.co.nz.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Auckland

Thank you so much ANDYCHEF, zhuhai2007, WLnz and Frangipani08!

We have decided to take Dunedin flight from Auckland on day 3. So Rotorua will be out of our itinerary. These are our One day (1 and 1/2 day actually) in Auckland.

Day 1 (27 sept)

Check in at Best Western president Hotel, late night

Day 2

Take the 7.30 am inter city bus to Matamata and from Matamata, we take the Hobbiton Tours.

Expected to be back to Auckland at 7.20pm. We think the tour packages from/to Auckland are quite pricey.

Back from Matamata, wanders around the sky city or maybe go up the Sky Tower.

Day 3

Early morning ferry rides to Devonport, maybe can have breakfast there. Then back to mainland, prepare to take Airbus express to airport. Our Dunedin flight will be at 2.40pm. Our next destination of interest will be Milford Sound.

Oh yea, any suggestion on places to shop for souvenir in Auckland?

Thanks again guys for all the infos and if you have any suggestion or opinion on these itineray, i really appreciate that. This is our first trip to NZ, originally to visit a friend in Dunedin.

Terima Kasih! ( how we say 'thank you' in Malaysia)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Auckland

Hi there

Sounds like a decent plan - it will take you about 5 minutes from your hotel to walk down to the intercity bus which departs from the side of Sky City, make sure you allow enough time to walk down there and be there 10 minutes before the bus leaves.

Lots of nice cafes in Devonport when you get over there, and the ferry ride across the harbour is fun.

There is an AIRBUS stop on Queen St just a couple of minutes walk from your hotel when you are leaving to go to the airport.

Make sure you allow an hour for travelling time from city to airport (it may take slightly less, but best to allow an hour)

Have fun

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Auckland

Guys,

Have few more questions. We will arrive Auckland Airport 22.45 and we are female travellers. 2 of us.

Is it ok for us to take airbus or safer to get a taxi or shuttle.

Compared to Best Western Hotel, is City life hotel much more convenient/nearer to airbus stop and yet walkable to sky city coach terminal and ferry terminal?

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central