We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV or Car Hire ?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
RV or Car Hire ?

New Zealand North Island 9 days in September for 2 adults , should we hire a car or camper ? Which would be cheaper car and BB or RV and campsites ? We plane to visit Auckland ,Rotorua ,Taupo , Wellington .

Oz
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV or Car Hire ?

Hi,

Car and motels. More comfortable and easier to drive too.

Cheers,

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV or Car Hire ?

As you are not traveling in high season you will probably find the campervan option cheaper, though not by enough to base a decision on.

Personally I would rent a self contained campervan, it really is a fantastic way to travel around NZ and the ability to park up at DOC sites is great.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RV or Car Hire ?

In September it could work out about even, but it also depends on where you stay if in a car, and how many nights you do at DoC campsites as opposed to holiday parks in the camper. I would make a decision based on whether you really want to do the camper - you can work either to a similar budget.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV or Car Hire ?

This is not a decision best made on price, as in September the difference might be quite small. I agree with Jean W. I really like camper vans but they are not for everyone. Our campers will be a bit smaller (and cheaper to run) than you are used to in Canada.

B&B in NZ seem to fall into two groups. Upmarket (and higher priced) or down market. We tend to use Motels. That word seems to have unpleasant connotations for North Americans, but here they areself contained flats of high standard. They will have a star rating.

We also have back packers. These will be rooms with shared vacilities. You need to check what you are getting so do some research

Personally, for a touring type holiday I would go with a motor home. I would use DOC camping ground, some freedom camping and every 4th or 5th night I would use a full facility Top 10 type camping ground where you can do all that washing and have a long shower.

5. Re: RV or Car Hire ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19