We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland Transfer Time

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Auckland Transfer Time

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a 1 hour and 25 minute transfer in Auckland and was wondering if that would be enough time. I'm thinking about taking the Jetstar flight leaving from Sydney arriving at 23:40, and I need to catch a SQ flight going to Singapore departing at 01:05. It looks like the Jetstar flight arrives in the domestic terminal and I need to go over to the international terminal and go through security again. Does anybody have experience making tight connections at AKL? Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

Jetstar & tight connection do not go well together - too many variables!

IMO I would not do it.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

I wouldn't contemplate this tight timeframe either, along with using a mix of airlines. Jetstar only needs to arrive Auckland late, giving you insufficient time to get over to the international terminal to check in. But also, you will need 1.5 hours at least just from checkin to boarding time to make the international processing less stressful.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
223 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

Last week we did an Auckland transfer (transfering from domestic to international). We had 1.5 hours and our transfer involved a change in terminals as well as having to go through security but we were going from Air New Zealand to Air New Zealand, our domestic flight was on time and the shuttle bus to take us to the international terminal was waiting for us and even then we made it with only about 10 minutes to spare.

It's enough time if everything goes as planned but leaves very little time for errors. It did help that 16 others on our domestic flight were transfering to our same flight and about half the plane was transfering to international flights leaving about the same time. Given JetStars reputation, I think you'd be counting on too many things going right.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

If it was on the same ticket, not a problem. But with two separate airlines you'd need to clear immigration and quarantine, and check in. Most international flights require you to check in 2 hours before your flight.

You have three viable choices. Book an earlier Jetstar flight, book a direct flight from Sydney to Singapore or book a flight from Sydney to Sinagpore via Auckland on the one ticket (i.e. AirNZ and SQ).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,595 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

I'm surprised that the JQ flight arrives at the domestic terminal! I didn't think there were immigration facilities there. Don't forget (a) you need to check in 2 hours early for your international flight to SIN and (b) it can take 1 hour to go through CQI in AKL. Your plan is not possible. You would need an absolute minimum of 2hours , assuming you can do online check-in fro SQ, leaving you 1 hour for arrival formalities and 30 min for security clearance at the International terminal plus 30 min for boarding.

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

Ok thanks for the help, I guess I'll just need to pay a bit more and take an earlier flight out of Sydney.

North Shore, New...
Level Contributor
242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

as others have said you will need 2hrs to be safe... Jetstar are unreliable at best.

Surely it would be cheaper to fly direct to Singapore from Sydney?

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

I already have a separate ticket from HNL-AKL-SIN and I figured since I was close by I would buy a separate RT ticket out to Sydney and see some family then fly back to AKL to catch my flight to SIN.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

AirNZ have a flight leaving Sydney 5pm, arriving Auckland 10.05pm. Or Qantas departing Syd 4pm, arriving Akld 9.10pm. Either of these would be much more safer and suitable for your Singapore flight ETD Akld 01.05am.

stonington ct
Level Contributor
127 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland Transfer Time

found this thread and hoping you may help us out? we are taking Jetstar from Chch to Auckland airport to catch our 10:45 pm flight to the US. If we arrive at Auckland from Jetstar at 7pm.... will we have plenty of time to get our bags, goto the terminal, check in to New Zealand Air go thru security and get to our gate... maybe even grab a bite to eat.... do I have the order correct? or should we get there even sooner??

thanks

dp