We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hills in Auckland Central

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hills in Auckland Central

We will be visiting Auckland soon and one member of our party is mobility challenged (uses a cane and walks with difficulty). Is the Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel in a particularly hilly section of the city? How about the Viaduct area? Where are the steepest streets? I'd like to be a bit strategic in choice of hotels because just plain walking is difficult and challenging for him. Thank you.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

Hi there

Waldorf Stadium Apartments and the Viaduct area are in the 'bottom' section of the CBD, so in the flattest part of the city.

Auckland is a very hilly city, so you are right to take this issue into account with your choice of hotels.

All of these hotels are in the 'flat' bottom end of the CBD - Copthorne Harbour City, Hilton, Mercure, Grand Chancellor, Waldorf Stadium, Auckland Harbour Oaks....

The 1st 3 I mentionned are in the absolute best location for short walks to the Viaduct, Ferries, Britomart etc...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

Thanks so much for your response it is very helpful. Do you know anything about the Quay West Suites Andy? . Also, we are visiting our daughter who is studying at the University. Is this area fairly accessible?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

Could I suggest you use google street maps to help? Go to the hotel you want then click on the street view and you will easily see how easy access etc will be. I use this all the time before I travel to get a feel for the area.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

Quay West Suites - location wise, this is also in the bottom area of the CBD, equally as good location as those others I mentionned - I have no personal experience of the rooms there, but it has pretty good TA reviews.

The university is fairly spread out, so it depends exactly which part you need to get to, but essentially the main university area around Anzac Ave/ Symonds St area is a reasonably steep uphill walk from the bottom CBD area that we have been discussing for hotels. So if it is more important for you to have access to the university area, you may want to look at hotels like the Pullman, the Quadrant, or possibly the Langham or Quest on Cintra - these are all around the university area

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

For the ease of accessibility, you will probably be best to stay in the downtown part of the CBD and take a taxi mobility van to reach the university. Auckland Uni is spread out across a couple of streets, some of which are on an incline. But also the hotels closest to the university have a slope to either get along to or return from the main campus. I take it your daughter is at Auckland University, rather than AUT or one of the outreach campuses located around the Upper Queen St area?

Otherwise Quay West apartments are in a good location, just off Queen St, with some of the upper level apartments having very good harbour views. This part of Customs St where the tower is sited is fairly level. Downtown Westfield shopping mall across the road, selling meals, fresh foods/fruits & groceries. The waterfront is about 200 metres away. Taxi rank across road but they are circulating around this part of the CBD regularly. The TA reviews appear favourable - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255106-d256715…

6. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 07:35
7. Re: Hills in Auckland Central

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central
Recent Conversations