We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Auckland

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Auckland

Hi All,

I am trying to find accommodation for our first couple of nights in New Zealand. I have done lots of internet searches and have searched this forum and am still not too sure. I wonder if anyone could help with some recommendations:

We are looking at a budget of around $100-200 a night but this is fairly flexible.

We will have just arrived on an international flight so would like somewhere easy to get to from the airport, preferably on public transport. We probably won't be very awake!

We'd like somewhere within easy reach of interesting Auckland sights and city centre.

There will be two of us.

Some basic cooking facilities would be good but not essential.

We were looking at motels but don't know the geograghy of the Auckland area so it was hard to know how convenient these would be to get to and get around without a car. We would consider a hostel but the ones I looked at in Auckland didn't seem to get good reviews.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Auckland

We stayed at the City Lodge and it was great - all private rooms and a wonderful kitchen/common area. Take discount taxi or super shuttle into town. The lodge is walking distance to CBD and harbour.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Auckland

You will probably want to get the AIRBUS from the airport into the city - it will be easiest to book a hotel that is on or very near the AIRBUS route.

Here are a couple of suggestions that will fit your budget and requirements....

ELLIOT HOTEL

QUEST ON QUEEN

Alternatively, you could take Discount Taxis into the city ($35 cash fare if pre-booked), then you could open up your hotel options a bit more:

AUCKLAND HARBOUR OAKS

CELESTION WALDORF

STADIUM WALDORF

All of these places I have mentionned are good value apartment style hotels, rooms have kitchens are generally quite spacious, and these are all very well located in the CBD area of Auckland. - you should be able to get a room at any of these for NZ$150 or under

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Auckland

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check them out. You have certainly helped narrow down my search.

4. Re: Accommodation in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central