We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

Norwich, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

My wife and I will spending three nights in Auckland next February prior to joining a cruise on the Diamond Princess.

We intend to visit relatives up the coast in Orewa on one of those days but will need to make our own way at least part of the way there. What is the best method of transport to get there please? For example could we take the park and ride out to Albany and meet them there as we know they use that method to get into Auckland or is that a non-starter as we're not 'parkers'?

Bearing that in mind and the fact that we need to get to Queen's Wharf on the fourth day of our stay to board our ship in which area of Auckland should we look for accommodation for the three nights? We'd be looking for a mid-budget hotel 3- 4 stars.

Thank you.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

Although they are not frequent, there are buses that will take you all the way to Orewa. Check http://www.maxx.co.nz/ for details.

As far as accommodation is concerned, something in the Viaduct/Customs St area would be convenient to Queen's Wharf. I've stayed at the Sebel Suites, which I liked.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,139 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

I really like the location of the Copthorne Harbour. Great harbour views and close to buses, ferries & all the restaurants of the Viaduct/ Wynyard Quarter.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,201 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

Albany bus terminal is now a major transport hub for the Shore and Hibiscus Coast suburbs. This is a good option should the bus timetable into Orewa not fit in with your own timing.

I would also go with Copthorne Harbourcity. Otherwise the Mercure Auckland next to Britomart is even closer to Queens wharf.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

The bus to Orewa from the CBD takes just over an hour unless you get an express during peak times which reduces travel times slightly.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 03:08
5. Re: Transport - Auckland Central to Orewa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central