We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 metre sailing

Port Stephens
Level Contributor
178 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
12 metre sailing

My wife and I will be in Auckland for a short next June and I thought a sail on a 12 meter America's yacht would be great, but having little time I was wondering if it was worth it being winter. The cold is not a prob, but looking for value for money or are we better off doing something else???,

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 metre sailing

Auckland harbour is a wonderful sailing venue and the 12 metre a great sail, so go for it.

On your next visit you could see AC72 Aotearoa returned to Auckland - now that would be an exciting sail :)

2. Re: 12 metre sailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 19:05
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 metre sailing

Come on Glenn, surely you see the fun in zipping about the harbour at 40knots or 74kms per hour?

especially on a Kiwi boat... and so no lagging behind ;)

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 metre sailing

Hmm, might be ok. You guys are just lucky the Chappel boys aren't into sailing

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 metre sailing

Indeed we can all be thankful - cricket is so deadly dull.

and just to keep this on topic -

AJ, if you miss the sailing in Auckland due to light winds, weather etc, you can also sail an AC boat in Queenstown experiencequeenstown.com/sail-queenstown/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 metre sailing

Come now, Glenn, where is the ANZAC spirit? Just because Australa hasn't mounted a challenge for 30 years doesn't mean you can't support NZ instead.

A coupe of weeks ago I asked an Australian colleague three simple questions - How is the cricket going? How is the rugby going and how is the yachting going? And nearly got my head bitten off!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 metre sailing

Auckland is known as the <city of sails> for very good reason. The Hauraki Gulf that opens out from the harbour is a beautiful part of NZ's marine area. An eco-tour may be as equally appealing as a sailing trip - http://www.explorenz.co.nz/

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 metre sailing

Really depends to some extent on whether you want the "thrill" (depending on the wind) of being on 12 mete yacht and the sailing experience or whether you are more interested in taking in the beauty of Auckland harbour and the Hauraki Gulf in a more relaxed style.

Either way being out on the harbour is a lovely experience.

Port Stephens
Level Contributor
178 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 metre sailing

Thank you everyone for your advice. WLnz...thanks for the link for Queenstown...........we are going to be there for a couple of days and although it would not be the same as sailing on Auckland Harbour it is a good back up plan if Auckland doesn't work out.

Zhuhai 2007.......your very cheeky.....I am sure we Aussies are better than the Kiwis at something ??????? just can't think of what .......

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 metre sailing

There is a town in the north island (whose name escapes me) that features the Sir Edmond Hilary walkway. Its kind of an arcade thing, it lists all the things NZ is famous for. I really think pavlova is an Australian 'invention', but barbed wire, who would have thought that was a kiwi thing.

And anyway, we were the ones to end the American dominance in yachting, after that it became secondary:)

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central