We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation

Flying into Auckland pick up car need a recommendation of hotel reasonably priced to stay at overnight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Accommodation

How long will it take to drive from Auckland to Rotorua then from Rotorua to Wellington. Secondly, from Picton to Franz Josef Glacier. Thirdly, from Mount Cook to Queenstown. Forthly, Queenstown to Dunedin. Finally, Dunedin to Christchurch.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accommodation

drive times

http://maps.aa.co.nz/#directions

hope you don't plan to drive Picton to Franz in one day!!

we don't have the wide, easy cruising roads you will be used to. Lots of wriggles and actual mountains in your roads. best not plan any drive over 4 hours as once you add sightseeing etc, that 4 hour drive can take all day. Example - Franz to Wanaka can be done in 4 hours but visitors average 6 hours so for all thos who take 4 hours, an equal number take 8 hours.

also how do you plan to get from Franz to Aoraki/Mt Cook? take a look on the link above - you have to drive 483kms to get from one to the other!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Accommodation

Took us about 4hrs to drive from Auckland airport to Rotorua with a gps. Roads were good and min traffic. Stopped on the way at a cafe for a burger.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accommodation

I also suggest maybe staying at a airport hotel for your first night and picking up the car the next morning to start your trip. No reason to pick up the car and then pay for parking on arrival

California
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Accommodation

Richard, unless you plan to spend at least 2 nights at each location you mention, you are going to be spending your entire vacation in the car with those drives.

Use the link above for drive times and roadmaps and remember, less is more.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Accommodation

<<We will be traveling for 12 days. Should we split 6 for each island or more days in the North or South?>>

Our first trip to NZ was a "lets see what its like" so we spent 4 nights in Rotorua, flew to Dunedin for 3 nights and then to Christchurch for 4 nights. Found out that NZ was too big and beautiful a place to do it in one trip. Second trip was just Dunedin>Te Anu>Milford>Queenstown. This Christmas trip is Christchurch>Glaciers>Queenstown and there is still so much to see.

If you can, I would try to minimise the car travel and send more time in each place as lightening fast visits usually mean you want to revisit for the stuff you missed

I will say that I really liked Rotarua, the mud pits and thermal springs were a hit with me but NZ is a beautiful country so it will be hard to be disappointed with whatever route you pick.

pa
Level Contributor
868 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Accommodation

What do you consider cheap?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Accommodation

After arriving in Auckland ( October 9th) 5.30pm, picking up a car we thought of driving to the Epsom area for accommodation. The next morning 8am leaving for Rotorua (4hour drive). Staying in Rotorua overnight then heading down to Wellington. How long will this take and staying near the ferry terminal. We have made the decision to spend most of our time in the South Island (7 days flexible) and leave from Christchurch on October 20th

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Accommodation

Youre not planning on staying in Rotorua? What a shame, I have a soft spot for the place. The mud pits, thermal park, hot springs then the silly stuff like zorbing. All to be enjoyed

If you are going to spend most of your time in the south island, can you fly directly there and save yourself a few days?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Accommodation

Actually we have changed our plans. Drive out of Auckland(10) to Hamilton then to Waitoma Caves, Rotorua, Lake Taupo, Palmerston North and then be in Wellingtom October 12. Is this to much or should we arrive in Wellington October 13th. I guess it is a case of what we would like to see. That leaves us with 8 days in the south. How does this sound.