We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

Pennsylvania...Abing...
Level Contributor
11 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

I will be staying in New Zealand for 2 weeks and seeing almost the entire country. I need to have your opinions on how to carry money/debit or credit cards. I value any input you can offer.

Thanks so much.

Cyndi

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,503 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

NZ has plenty of ATMs and a very high rate of Credit Card acceptance so the easiest method is to withdraw the maximum amount of cash allowed by the machine -usually $300 or $500. Check with your bank how much they charge for credit card use and use that for accommodation, meals, shopping & activities.

2. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 16:35
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

booking and prepaying accommodation on a website that allows payment in home country currency is a initial saving.

take as much cash as you are comfortable carrying and convert in the city after arrival. if you need local cash for arrival transport from airport exchange a minimal amount at airport.

with card use be wary if your savings and credit accounts are on the same card. atm will often default to using credit and you are then paying cash advance rates.

no fee prepaid into local currency travel cash cards are often suggested but initial deposit conversion rates are questionable. and most have atm withdrawl fees. and obtaining any remaining small balance can be a hassle and often overlooked. however a secure one is a safer form of having access to larger amounts. and if you are expecting your home currency value to fall they can be a smart buy. those on a budget like knowing exactly what local money they have stored.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,325 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

Exchanging cash will cost more than just withdrawing money from an ATM with a debit card.

As I recall, ATMs in NZ ask which account to use, like ATMs in Australia.

The pre-paid travel cards sold in USA and Australia are very poor value for money: even worse than exchanging cash. They have high fees and/or poor exchange rates. They are only another way of making more money from travellers.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

Check to see if your bank has a recipricol (Sorry about spelling) with a NZ bank. I have a card issued by a NZ bank which allows acess to specified banks elsewhere (including US) ATM's without a transaction fee. I also have a debit card from Air NZ which I load the required currency on to withdraw without fees.

Don't try and pay with $US. Anyone who takes it is probably changing at a rate good for them. This includes hotels etc.

Sometimes you might have to go 100 meters in a city to find an ATM.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,965 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

There is a reciprocal agreement with WestPac Bank and Bank of America: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

If you have a BofA account you can withdraw from a WestPac ATM with no fees.

I agree to use ATMs and credit cards. Do some research (google) on the best credit cards to use internationally.

We found New Zealand to be very safe. Mind you we keep our money and cards where they cannot be pickpocketed. That is just common sense.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

Just a note on credit cards, Visa or Mastercard are more widely accepted here. American Express tends to be more business focused, so fine for meals and accomodation but not so good at stores.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

Take some cash. Even though she reported her travel my daughter's credit card and debit card were declined when she tried to use them. The study abroad program recommended $100 in emergency cash so at least she had that . When we visited we probably took around $400 cash ($200 for each of us) but as it turned out we didn't have a problem with either our debit card or our credit card. BTW - If you exchange money at a savings bank (we used ASB on both North and South Island) you get the best rate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

anyone know if the exchange rate on british pounds is more favourable in NZ than the uk - ie: should i change up a bunch of pounds into NZ dollars before i go or change it up over there. Cheers

10. Re: Suggestions on how to carry or use money and convert easily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:05