We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire in Auckland

Whyalla
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
car hire in Auckland

I am looking to hire a family sized car at Auckland airport in December 2013. Can anyone suggest a car hire company with decent rates, service and cars? Also, would it be better waiting until closer to the travel days before renting for cheaper prices, or would it be more expensive?

thank you.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire in Auckland

Hi there - have a look at APEX RENTAL CARS as a good reliable option with a good selection of cars at various different price points.

Book now as December will be a busy time, so by waiting you risk vehicles being booked out.

Whyalla
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire in Auckland

thanks Andy, will definitely look in to this, and sooner rather than later........

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire in Auckland

Not sure what their rates are for your dates, but we used Avis (Auckland Airport) two different times and it was good enough for us. We had booked a full-size car and the Holden's they gave us were enough room for our 4 suitcases, a few other bags, and our 2-year old's car seat.

For what it is worth, each time we were in the office to sign the paperwork, we heard others ask about availability and both times, they said they were fully booked for the day. I would book ASAP just to have the piece of mind. In my experience rental car prices don't seem to drop much and many rates allow you to cancel/modify without penalty. So, we typically book far in advance and then just change the reservation if we need to later. Just be sure to double check the conditions of the reservation to make sure there is no penalty for cancellation.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire in Auckland

Avis is good but 50% more than other rental companies.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire in Auckland

We use europcars and have found them reliable, convenient and good price. they are based at the airport as well so it hassle free.

Auckland, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire in Auckland

What ever you do, don't use Discount Taxi's. The name is totally misleading. When you pay by credit card, they charge you a whopping 10% on top of the fare - what a rip-off!

7. Re: car hire in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 00:05
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire in Auckland

I would recommend Avis, they are always really reliable , the cars are new and I've never had any issue with any of them. There is slightly cheaper options around but the cars are well used and prone to potential issues

Either way, there's a fair few companies around so compare prices !

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire in Auckland

Just going back up a few items in this post...I didn't know that Discount taxis charged 10% for using credit card - actually all companies and service providers in NZ are allowed to charge a surcharge for using credit card if they choose to do so ( as a business owner myself, I believe your pricing should already have incorporated this - however, some companies do choose to charge it as an extra). This should be 2-3% max, certainly not 10.

Having said that, even with 10% added on, Discount taxis fare from airport to city would still only be $44, which is still by far the cheapest.

10. Re: car hire in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 18:06