We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new zealand cuisine

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
new zealand cuisine

Hi

I will be in Auckland early next year. I am looking for a place to eat that serves traditional New Zealand cuisine. Is there a National cuisine? Maybe lamb?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
1. Re: new zealand cuisine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 18:36
Edited: 11 June 2015, 18:36
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new zealand cuisine

New Zealand being a maritime nation, surrounded by a vast ocean places a big emphasis on fish and seafood. Try NZ red schnapper and Blue Cod among other white fish, as well as NZ oysters and scallops. Whitebait fritters are a particular delicacy of the South Island mainly. Paua fritters appear on fish and chip shop menus. Unfortunately the frozen version tastes nowhere the same as fresh paua. Salmon farmed in the South Island is served at many restaurants around the country.

NZ prides itself on producing open pasture lamb. Besides being roasted, lamb on the spit/BBQ tastes pretty good too. Hangi prepared foods have a rich smokey flavour and is a tender method of cooking.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new zealand cuisine

Any cuisine of a country is what is grown locally. FRESH food. In NZ we are a traditonal fishing and farming industries. Local meat includes lamb, beef, pork, chicken And vension. Fish and shellfish such as mussels, oysters, whitebait, scallops, paua. My favourite fish is snapper, bluenose, bluecod, gropher. Hoki is only good for fishpie, or mcdonalds burgers!

I did a quick google and this one came up http://www.tonyslornestreet.co.nz/ Dont know anything about it but it sounded good.

I also recommend you find a good fish and chip shop and get some kumara chips, sour cream and decent fish, not the rig or shark, and sit in a park and enjoy.

4. Re: new zealand cuisine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:16