We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

We are traveling to New Zealand in a few weeks. I'm wondering what the best and easy to transport home souviners are that New Zealand is know for?

Thanks?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Souvenirs come in all shapes and sizes and quality. Throughout the country you will find cheap ticky tacky plastic souvenirs made in China and in other places you will find quality products costing up to many thousands of dollars. Your budget and desires will determine what you purchase. You will find souvenir shops of varying degrees in all main centres, shopping malls, popular touristy spots, in fact all over the country. Sorry I cant be more specific but your question is very vague.

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Thank you. Looking for fun and different souviners to bring back to the states. Candy, honey,etc

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

What is a popular souviner to purchase

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

The best souvenir shop in Auckland is CraftWorld. http://www.craftworld.co.nz/

This is a huge shop with everything imaginable where crafters "rent" booths in an upmarket undercover store. This store is located at along the Norwest Motorway (around 10-15mins from downtown) and very accessible by taxi). You could quite happily spend the day at this open-air shopping centre as there are lots of shops there.

A popular product to purchase is NZ Possum and Merino wear (if you are in cold climates, this is a must!!)...scarves, vests, hats, gloves, sox! (These products are also available at the Airport shops)...yes this wear is expensive!!

Also do try NZ Manuka Honey, and products made from this world-famous honey.

Then there is the NZ Paua shell (rainbow blue shell), and the pink mussel shell is also very beautiful. Then also is NZ Pounamu (greenstone/jade)...but care must be taken when purchasing as to get the "genuine" jade!!! CraftWorld sells genuine NZ product.

If you have children/grandchildren, the iconic "Buzzy-Bee" pull toy is super fun!

Another common candy to try is JAFFA...a chocolate ball covered in an orange flavoured hard shell.

Have fun discovering NZ icons ;)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

NZ has many beautiful native timbers. Small wooden items make good souvenirs.

Maori arts are popular souvenirs. (Carving, weaving, etc.) These can vary from quite tacky items better shops stopped selling 30 years ago, to genuine works of art.

Greenstone or paua jewellery is popular and a wide price range is available from cheap trinkets to very expensive.

Possum fur and sheepskin items (cushion covers etc as well as clothing) and knitwear are also popular.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,279 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Where are you going while in NZ? Jewellery is easy to carry & in Hokitika, as well as most other tourist destinations, you can buy pieces made from local Paua (abalone), gold, greenstone (jade) etc. In Christchurch there are craft markets in the Restart Mall area selling knitwear, handmade leather goods, bone & wood carvings etc (some woodware is made from timber recycled from post-quake demolished Chch buildings).

My family members always take Whittakers Chocolate home with them.

In my mind souvenirs are what takes your fancy - some people collect specific items such as shot glasses or snow domes (!!). Some grandparents I know take home a doll in local costume from each place they visit. Only you can decide what makes a good souvenir.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

I way prefer local handmade souvenirs to the tacky big souvenir shops and stores. the handmade souvenirs are the ones you find along the way such as the swamp kauri in northland, greenstone in Hokitika, handblown glass in Nelson, Paua products made locally. Local markets have wonderful locally made things and the Nelson Market on a Saturday morning is one of the best I have ever been to.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Brian, Im not sure where you are from, but if it gets cold in winter I highly recommend possum fur socks or gloves. Or merino items. They will keep your toes or fingers toasty and the possum is a pest of nz.

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions. We will be in both Auckland and Queenstown during our visit. Any suggestions on shops or little hole in the wall places or places along the way, would be helpful! I love the idea of homemade souvenirs. That's probably the way we'll go. What are the price ranges for necklaces, bracelets and earrings? Where can I find the Nelson Market? We do live in a cold state, so fur socks or gloves is a good idea as well. I think we will have plenty of options, thanks to all of you. We look forward to our adventure in the North and South Islands.

Cheers!

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Places To Buy New Zealand Favorite Souviners

The CraftWorld store I already mentioned in Auckland has a HUGE array of jewelry, [handmade] and prices range from NZD5 - upwards!! depending on whether gold/NZ Pounamu/SSilver etc. etc.

Here is the link to the Nelson Market http://www.nelsonmarket.co.nz/

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central