We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

Does anyone know if it can be rough waters in the Hauraki Gulf during the month of March? I was planning on booking a wine tour that ferries to Waitheke Island and the tour is non refundable. Didn't know if they cancelled ferries if it got really bad.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

It is very rare to cancel the ferry as many people rely on it for travelling to and from work. And many many other visitors and tourists as well.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

Its not completely impossible for the ferry to be cancelled but it would be extremely unusual.

Any tour that you book should be refundable if its not possible to get to Waiheke.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
799 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

It would have to be extraordinary circumstances for any Auckland / Waiheke ferry to be cancelled.

Your ferry trip should a delightful part of your day. The weather is normally quite settled in March.

I can understand your tour is not refundable if you can't make it for any reason however I am sure the tour company would be legally obliged to refund your money if the ferries aren't working.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

Very occasionally the northern half of the North Island will experience the tail end of a tropical storm during March. The sea-passage between the end of Waiheke and its neighbouring island can receive choppy seas in the event. Lasts no more than 5 - 10 minutes if that, and apart from seeing the sea swells, and a gentle roll or surge,, you may not experience much effect if any on board.

Local tour operators will have contingency plans if the weather causes disruption to any of the ferry services. Or the ferry itself is unable to run to normal schedule.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
799 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

I have never noticed the phenomenon that Frangipani mentions at the tail end of storms.

I always avoid the Super Saver sailings as they use older ferries which rock and roll and I would advise against tourists using these ferries.

sealink.co.nz/timetables-and-fares/timetable…

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

I'm assuming the OP is considering the Fullers passenger ferry services that depart from downtown, Auckland to Matiatia harbour (35 - 40 minutes per trip)? Most day-trippers, and those taking tours, will use this ferry service from Auckland.

The alternative ferry service from Half Moon Bay to Kennedy Point is operated by Sealink (mentioned above). These are vehicular ferries that also carries foot passengers, with the slower/older vessels carrying freight in the main.

7. Re: Ferry from Auckland to Waitheke Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:16