We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catching the Northern Explorer Train

Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Catching the Northern Explorer Train

Would love to know where the best accommodation would be to catch the Northern Explorer train from Auckland. Suggestions welcome.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

The closest would be the Mercure, closely followed by Copthorne Harbour City - both are older hotels but still acceptable (I've stayed in the Mercure in the last year, and was happy enough - others report the same from the Copthorne Harbour City).

Iowa
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

I had the same question for the same reason. We're looking at the Langham. Are there morning buses that can fairly quickly take us within a short walking distance of the train station? And if so, would there be a restriction about taking our luggage on the city bus? (Traveling with one full-sized carry-on bag each.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

As NZBarry says, the nearest hotel is the Mercure, which is alongside the Britomart train station (separate buildings). Beyond this hotel, the Mercure Windsor and Quest on Queen are both on Queen Street, barely a minute's walk from the train station.

Stamford Plaza which is a very nice hotel located near the corner of Albert Street would be the closest beyond the above, followed by the Copthorne Harbour City facing the harbour.

I stayed at the Copthorne for a night in December and found it's convenient location, harbour views from upper levels, and proximity to Viaduct harbour to be brilliant.

For a Langham hotel stay, a cab would be quickest and more convenient. Depending on traffic, the Link city buses are convenient if you can handle your luggage on a busy service - http://www.maxx.co.nz/link-bus-services.aspx

The green Inner Link circuit will offer the closest service from K Road (Langham is around the corner on Symonds St), to Britomart.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

I've stayed in the former Mercure Windsor, now Park Regis: it is a bit of a lucky dip when it comes to rooms and noise there, so I didn't mention it.

As for the Langham, there are many many busses wizzing down Symonds Street, with the stop just above the hotel. It ios otherwise a 15 - 20 minute walk, downhill then along the flat, if your luggage is not going to be a bother.

Iowa
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

Downhill, then on the flat -- we can walk that! We don't take that much luggage -- no problem. Thanks!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

I'd probably allow a good half hour to 40 minutes to walk from the Langham to Britomart. 'From this location to Queen St, or Customs Street, incurs a short but steep decline, so best wear robust footwear for the walk. The Langham will point out the best route to take. But the Link buses will be fine and efficient, if you can manage your luggage getting onto the bus.

Iowa
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

Thank you, Frangipani08. The walk will be good for us. We'll start early -- and use the bus as a back-up plan.

8. Re: Catching the Northern Explorer Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central
Recent Conversations