We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling alone to Auckland

Kalmar, Sweden
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Female travelling alone to Auckland

Hi everyone!

I'm about to book a flight to Auckland in mid August, I will be travelling there alone as a female in her 20's , so I just wanted to check if Auckland is a safe city to walk around in as a solo traveler?

And also, if you guys know any good hostels that would be good to stay at that are safe and centrally located and where you can meet other people to hang out with?

Are 4 full days enough to see most of Auckland? My time is limited to a few days only and I will be in Australia and really wanna see New Zealand as well, so I have chosen Auckland as my destination since I know its the largest city and I figured it must be a lot of fun sights to exlore.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

is Queenstown an option for you to book? I just cant imagine having only 4 days in NZ and spending it in Auckland unless you are planning on travelling away from Auckland.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

Auckland (and NZ in general) is very safe compared to many international cities. However we are not completely without crime and you should follow the same common sense as you would in any city. That is, try not to walk alone at night in isolated areas, don't hitchhike, and so on.

I don't know about hostels personally, but as a local I would recommend the following things to do:

A night out in Ponsonby or Britomart - both are areas with great bars and restaurants. (Both are also good shopping areas with interesting/high quality boutiques).

A day trip on the ferry over to Waiheke Island to visit some vineyards.

A drive out to one of the west coast beaches - wild, beautiful and rugged coastline - either Bethells, Piha or Muriwai.

A day trip on a boat out dolphin watching, or to Tiritiri Matangi Island which is a native bird sanctuary.

A trip up the Sky Tower - yes it's touristy but you'll get a spectacular view of the city and harbour.

Have a great time, Auckland is a fantastic city with loads to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Ponsonby
Ponsonby
552 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Britomart
Britomart
179 Reviews
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
1,745 Reviews
Bethells Beach
Bethells Beach
305 Reviews
Tiritiri Matangi Island
Tiritiri Matangi Island
1,708 Reviews
Sky Tower
Sky Tower
9,310 Reviews
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

Hej

I often walk to work everyday in the city and I see a lot of backpackers around these places.

http://www.stayatbase.com/

http://qsb.co.nz/

There's a lot of options to choose from but these are often the ones I pass by on my way to work. From what I see it seems there are plenty of people you can meet and they often look like they are travellers from Europe. These 2 places are also close by to a supermarket so you can head there to load up on snacks/water etc.

As Sunnynz mentioned, I wouldn't go walking on the streets alone at night but during the day time it should be fine. We have our own share of weirdos and best to be safe than sorry.

4 days should be OK but it depends on what you want to experience and see... One option would be to use the Auckland explorer bus where you can hop and off anytime you want, and it will take you around the popular areas of Auckland.

http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/

There's also a ferry terminal in the city, where you can take a day trip to visit Waiheke island or a one day bush walk around Rangitoto island. Hope you will have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland Explorer Bus
Auckland Explorer Bus
424 Reviews
Auckland
Auckland
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
1,745 Reviews
Rangitoto Island
Rangitoto Island
1,942 Reviews
Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

4 Days would be long enough to see Auckland, but not 'New Zealand'. Auckland is a typical large city, with most of the attractions out of the city itself. I agree with most of what sunnynz1 said. I would also suggest going snorkelling at Goat Island Marine reserve, its a nice place to dive and see New Zealands marine life.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Goat Island Marine Reserve
Goat Island Marine...
285 Reviews
Warkworth, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

I hope my advice is helpful, I spent Jan and Feb in NZ (I'm also a single female traveller) and I spent about a week and a half in Auckland (at different times during my trip, a few days at the beginning, a few in the middle and a few at the end) and honestly, unless you know people, Auckland is a little boring, there are lovely parts of it like the harbour, the harbour bridge, Ponsonby, Britomart, some great bars, Tyler Street Garage is a good one, nice atmosphere, live music etc. (again it's nicer if you know a few people but if you're staying in a hostel you're likely to meet people anyway) if you stay at Nomads- which is a bit nicer than Base- just off Queen street, pretty much the main street in Auckland, they run loads of free activities like city walks and a really cool trip to Silo Park -which is a really fun place to just go and hang out- for an open-air cinema, there's no point paying for wi-fi there either, if you go downstaira to the trravel shop you can use their computers for free, also I know from personal experience that Domino's delivers right to your dorm room...)

The SkyTower's worth seeing but it's expensive, it's possible that showing your hostel room key will get you a discount, always worth a try!

Someone else suggested Piha, I stayed there for 2 weeks and it's one of the most amazing places I've ever been, the people are friendly, the beaches are beautiful and the surf's great (but dangerous!) What more do you need!?

Honestly though, my favourite place in NZ was Queenstown, it's a tiny town but there is so so much going on, you'll not be bored, and the Nomads there gives you free food!

Edited: 26 April 2014, 23:41
Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Ponsonby
Ponsonby
552 Reviews
Britomart
Britomart
179 Reviews
Nomads Auckland Hostel
Nomads Auckland Hostel
720 Reviews
Queen Street
Queen Street
1,060 Reviews
Silo Park
Silo Park
163 Reviews
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

Hey I am a 29 year old Female. I too traveled to Auckland alone. I was dropped off at the Base Backpacker. Although very clean, it was not my scene. It reminded me of a college dorm, and it was really hard to meet people. I highly recommend the Brown Kiwi which is a more "home" feel backpacker off ponsonby, which appears to be the popular street!

To me, an experience is just as much about who you meet than where you go- and in Auckland you have LOTS of choices! Just spend a day walking around, thats what I did, and I saw a lot!

As far as safety, I agree with the others- just use the same common sense!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Kiwi International Hotel
Kiwi International Hotel
749 Reviews
Kalmar, Sweden
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

Thanks for all your great answers! I've booked my flight to Auckland in mid August and is looking forward to explore the city for a few days

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

Hi there,

I've traveled to New Zealand four times, including several parts of each trip, solo. I have friends who live in Wellington, but have visited both islands- drove the South Island solo for eight days and most recently (about a year ago) spent bout 4-5 days in Auckland on my own. New Zealand is very safe for single female travelers, within reason, keeping in mind the typical things you should be aware of when traveling to any big city. While in Auckland last spring (their fall), I stayed at the Best Western President Hotel in the CBD which was very centrally located and very easy to walk to/from anything you want to see or do in the city. My focus was sightseeing (I'd visited Auckland for the first time about 12 years before, on a very unorganized trip with a friend) and was pleased with what I was able to see this time around.

I'd definitely recommend taking the Explorer Bus- it's a hop on/hop off tour that covers a large part of the city and outer lying areas. Then you can pick and choose some of the things you might want to see along the way. It's worth spending a full day.

I also spent an entire day on Waiheke Island, taking a bus tour of the island, which includes your island bus pass for the rest of the time you'll spend there. I hopped off the tour bus on it's way back to the ferry terminal and visited a few wineries, had lunch and then explored the little town area and shopped. It's a beautiful place and if I go back I'd consider spending a night or two there to just spend more time there.

Another easy trip via ferry is heading over to Davenport- cute little town, lots of restaurants and shops. Hike up to Mt. Victoria for a nice view of the city.

i also took a bus trip up to the Bay of Islands, visited Pahia and Russell as well as several other stops along the way.

You'll have plenty to see and do for 4-5 days.

There are also some great little restaurants right along the waterfront on what I believe is Princess Wharf. It's not far from the Ferry terminals, just the other side of the wharf. I had several dinners there as there were quite a few restaurants all right next to each other. Nice seating outside to watch the boats go by.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland Explorer Bus
Auckland Explorer Bus
424 Reviews
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
1,745 Reviews
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
Russell
Russell
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
9. Re: Female travelling alone to Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:17