We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine through customs

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wine through customs

Does anyone know if we purchase wine in Waiheke if we can take it through customs back into Australia? What about shipping it back to the US?

Thanks.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine through customs

It depends what the duty free allowance is in the countries you are intending to take the wine to.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine through customs

Yes, you can take wine into Oz - with limits.

and yes, most wineries will ship anywhere - even Oklahoma :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine through customs

If you are planning to take wine with you overseas, you can't take the bottle as part of your hand luggage. Classed as a liquid, it will be confiscated going through border security at Auckland. Only means of taking it with you is to pack it securely and place the bottle within your checked luggage.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
793 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine through customs

I often take wine overseas in my checked luggage. I pack the bottles in bubble wrap wineskins which are readily available in Auckland from most wine shops.

amazon.com/Wine-Skin-WineSkin-Bag-2-Pack/dp/…

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine through customs

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: Wine through customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:16