We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

Hi all,

Well arrived in Auckland late due to flight cancellation from Aus.

Have been to Bay of Islands (loved it) . Now back in Auckland for night only. Tomorrow: nothing booked as I need to know where to go first. I wanted to go to Waitoma Glow worms, hobbit on, hot bath beach, tauranga? These are all places in my head. I have already booked 2 nights in Rotorua 23 - 24. Napier? ? Decided to keep hire car and return in Wellington on Sunday 26th. I've booked train back to Auckland (northern Explorer) on Tues so I can be back there for flight home on Wed morning. So apart from my two days in Rotorua how should I drive and what route/what should I miss out on:-( please help. Hotels in Wellington close to train station?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,503 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

You have left things a bit late for this very busy school holiday week/ ANZAC weekend!

How about heading down to Waitomo Caves tomorrow & after a cave tour return to Hamilton for the night - should be lots of choice there unless there is a big event on.

23. Hamilton to Hobbiton to Rotorua

24. Explore Rotorua

25. Drive to Waiotapu; then on to Lake Taupo & Napier.

26. Napier to Wellington

27. Explore

What is your budget for a hotel in Wellington. Have you tried wotif.co.nz?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

Hotels in Wellington close to the station include Rydges, the Ibis, Downtown Backpackers, Quest on Lambton Serviced Apartments, Wellesley Boutique Hotel.

As for where to go tomorrow, it depends what you're most interested in. You're not going to be able to see the Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton, Hot Water Beach and Tauranga in the time you've got, so work out what matters to you most. Napier would be a good choice between Rotorua and Wellington.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

Zhuhai makes a good point about holidays. Looking on wotif.co.nz, the Ibis is still available for a good price. The Novotel and Quest Wellington would be worth considering too - they're a little further from the station but still walkable.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 10:45
Huonville, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

Thank you one and all. I've booked Rydges Wellington now(wasn't cheap but close to train station). I'll take the advise of you all and go to the places that zhuha has mentioned. Thank you so much!

5. Re: Auckland to Wellington help needed urgently!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16