We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
127 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

We are visiting NZ in May 2014 on a conducted tour and will be there for 10 days starting from Auckland and covering Rotorua, Queenstown, Franz Josef and Christchurch. Where is the best place to buy good quality Possum/ Merino Wool Sweater/Jackets for ladies and Gents and where can we buy them and the best brands if any. Are there any dedicated shops or are these available at the Departmental Stores. An idea of the prices will be helpful any any advise on this would be appreciated. We will be staying 2 days in Auckland and 3 days in Queenstown. Thanks in advance

24 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

I buy my possum merino clothing online from NZ Wild & Woolly store located near Tauranga. You could buy online and get the order delivered (pending your arrival) to your hotel in Auckland.

My most favourite item is my black 'shaped fitted jacket' from their Koru range - easy to pack, light weight, can be worn as casual with jeans or dress up for night time.

It is an essential when I pack for winter time in NZ!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Merinomink, a brand which is wool and possum, and other brands are available in many of the souvenir type of shops in Rotorua, Christchurch, Queenstown and other places around the South Island. They are not cheap,however, and styles vary from shop to shop. Expect to pay over $200 and even over $300 for jerseys and jackets.

I love my four Merinomink cardigans, jacket, hat, socks and gloves and wear them all the time in winter.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 07:02
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Merinomink is a good make.I bought one of their sweaters in Rotorua and I bought a short sleeve jacket for my daughter in the shop within the Hermitage Hotel in Aoraki/Mt.Cook. I am sure you will find something in either Rotorua or Queenstown.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
127 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Thank you all for the wonderful advise. Will keep the same in mind while shopping

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Snowy Peak is the maker of Merino Mink & they have a factory outlet in Chch: the cafe is worth a visit too.

http://www.snowypeak.co.nz/sp/

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Check out the shops at Auckland airport - if you have access to them - when you arrive. I have a couple of these types of things that I've purchased at airports.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

For Merino clothing, designed more for performance rather then fashion then chains like Macpac, Kathmandu, Mountain Design, RRsports and Bivouac have good prices when they are on sale. (They are on sale more often then not). The chains can be found in most cities. Can quite often find merino for 40-60% off retail price. Most of the merino fabric is from NZ but the clothing would be made overseas. NZ made brands would include Chalkydigits, EarthSeaSky and Swazi (more hunter oriented), you might find a limited selection in RRsports and Biviouac, NZ made brands are unlikely to be discounted.

Merino/possum mixed clothes are more for fashion and are less mass produced. Probably best brought from tourists shops like the others suggested.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

You forgot the iconic Icebreaker. For really funky merino clothing try Mons Royale - designed here in Wanaka. Queenstown will be an excellent place to shop (for access to a wide range of brands and prices), but you might need the clothing before you get there!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

nature shop, kathmandu, macpac, r and r sport and outdoor adventure shops all sell merino. Icebreaker is a quality named merino brand, and accordingly priced. merino/possum fur clothing is less common. However, I only wear merino possum fur socks, gloves and beanie.

they are amazingly warm and snug. All winter I wear possum fur blend socks and can stand on the side of a soccer field or on the cold hard netball courts in mid winter and my toes stay toasty. But I also wear merino socks for running, and merino all summer. comfortable, stylish and reliable.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater

Did not forget Icebreaker because it is one of the brands sold by Biviouac or RRsports, just did not mention it specifically. Icebreaker is now made in china. quality not really any better then the other premium brands. A bit overpriced for what they offer. If I was to pay a premium would rather support the likes of Chalkydigits or EarthSeaSky... or get the discounted nearly identical clothing from Macpac, Kathmandu ect.

Reply to: Want to buy Possum and Merino light weight warm Sweater
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted