We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

I'll be visiting NZ for five months beginning in November. I will need a car for my entire visit. Should I purchase a car (new or used?) or look for a cheap rental? Any ideas on vendors is also appreciated. Thanks!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

To get some idea of pricing etc have a look at : www.trademe.co. nz for used car sales. However I certainly wouldn't buy via online sight unseen - wait until you arrive NZ.

Also if you do buy used car ensure you get certified mechanical report prior to parting with your cash and invest in full car insurance.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 04:11
San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

thanks expat. Very sound advice. I figure I'll likely purchase a used car, maybe around NZ$14,000 and even if I only get NZ$ 12,000 when I sell (back to the dealer), I'll come out ahead instead of renting. I'll be visiting Auckland for one week in June and will try to put the pieces together in advance of my long-term visit in November.

I plan to visit a couple of dealers, both new and used, and try to figure who's apt to be reliable and reputable. In the states that's a difficult task.

Your trademe site looks like a local ebay. Don't know if I want to buy from a private party, for mechanical/inspection issues, etc. I figure a dealer will provide a sound vehicle...am I right?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Yes trademe is similar to EBay.

Any reputiable car dealer will provide service manuals, mechanical inspection, etc. If exiting out of Auckland you may even be able to strike up 'buy and return' deal with car dealer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Exactly my thoughts. And I see plenty of cars for under 7,500 so my downside should be less. Now to find a dealer. .....

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

You should be able to get a reliable vehicle for $7500 in NZ. Get it checked to be sure.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Thanks poppy, I'll be looking. ...now, you have an Auckland dealer for me?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up renting an "older" car (2005 or 2008?) from James Blond. His pricing for the older car was the cheapest I found in Auckland.....and I called around alot!!! After all, it was going to be a four month rental, and that adds up cost-wise.

I decided to go this way, instead of purchasing, so I wouldn't have the potential hassle of having to deal with a mechanical breakdown, etc.

Dealing with James Blond company was excellent. John, the owner, advised me NOT to purchase added insurance, as the cost for 4 months would be prohibitive. However, he if I did get the minimal insurance (higher excess), he advised me to get the windscreen protection. As I didn't purchase any insurance, I wasn't able to only purchase the windscreen protection. As luck would have it, I did get a large chip (my last two weeks of rental), which turned into a crack, thus requiring the windscreen to be replaced, at my expense.

John was able to get the job done at a MUCH better (volume) price than I could have, so the cost of replacing the windscreen was just a little more than the cost of just the windscreen insurance (had I been able to solely obtain that).

So, all in all, a most excellent decision to rent, and to do so with James Bond Company.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Nice to hear Lawrence.

So many come to TA to post only when things go bad so great to have a positive post and a positive visit :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Thanks WL...I try to pass it forward to my fellow TA's and yelpers.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NZ 5 month visit-purchase car or rent/lease car??

Renting was a good move. If anyone else is thinking of buying a car, I think you were very optimistic expecting to get $12,000 back from a dealer on a car that you had paid only $14,000 5 months previously. In NZ, MV dealers work on much higher margins, and would pay only $7,000 - 9,000 for a car that had a retail of $14,000

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central