We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the arty/ trendy neighbourhoods (to live) in Auckland?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
What the arty/ trendy neighbourhoods (to live) in Auckland?

Hi all,

I'm moving to Auckland soon and I'm wondering where the cool arty neighbourhoods to live are?

For those of you who know Melbourne- I'm looking to live in suburb that's like Brunswick East/ Fitzroy/ Northcote... so basically hippies, artists and yuppies :)

I'll be working at the airport, but don't want to live right next to work, you know... ;)

Any help would be awesome!

Bless,

Autumn

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the arty/ trendy neighbourhoods (to live) in Auckland?

Hi, some comparable suburbs to the Melbourne ones you mentioned would be:

Kingsland - city fringe suburb made up of lots of little old wooden villas, many have been restored. Mostly young families/professionals, young groups of people flatting together and students. Kingsland's main street has a good mix of bars, restaurants, cafes, boutiques. Easy access to the city via bus, train, even a long week if you're feeling energetic on a warm day.

Grey Lynn - becoming more gentrified and houses are being renovated more and more so prices going up. Grey Lynn used to be a hippie suburb and still holds on to its roots a little so lots of great organic shops/cafes/acupuncturists, etc. Very handy to the city and lots of lovely leafy streets.

Ponsonby - very close to the city and right next to Ponsonby Road which is a fantastic long street of restaurants, bars, boutiques, cafes. (Kind of like Brunswick St). The houses here are again those lovely little wooden villas but close together on small sections so less families and more renters and professionals with no kids. Not cheap but a great place to live when you first arrive in Auckland because it's so handy to the city and Ponsonby Rd.

There are a few other places that you might like such as Piha, Titirangi and Muriwai but they are all much much further away and would be a long commute to the airport.

You should sign up for The Denizen emails (kind of like Broadsheet but better I think) and start checking out the Eat Here Now blog for some good eating spots.

http://www.thedenizen.co.nz/

http://www.eatherenow.co.nz/

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What the arty/ trendy neighbourhoods (to live) in Auckland?

Blessings sunnynz! <3

Thank you so much! x

3. Re: What the arty/ trendy neighbourhoods (to live) in Auckland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15