We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 Days in Auckland

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
1.5 Days in Auckland

I am going to be starting my trip to NZ in Auckland. I arrive from the US at 5:30 am on day 1 and then have a flight down to Queenstown at 2:15 pm on day 2. So that leaves me with a little over 1 day in the city.

I am doing an early check-in at my hotel (right on Queen Street in central Auckland) and am guessing I will arrive there around 7 am (after going through customs, getting my bags and taking the airbus express into Auckland). So we plan on checking in and then heading right out to see the city.

As of right now, this is what I have planned:

A Fullers harbor cruise

The Sky Tower

Walking around Viaduct Harbor

Cornwall Park (One Tree Hill)

Mount Eden

Given my time frame, does it sound realistic that I can hit all of these in the day plus I have? I am planning on taking a city bus out to Cornwall Park and then hitting Mount Eden on my way back into the downtown area.

Is there anything that I should add to the mix? Would heading to Devonport and walking up Mount Victoria be nice to add? With my harbor tour ticket, they offer a free return from Devonport.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 Days in Auckland

Day 1 - walk to the Ferry Building for your harbour cruise (mid morning?). Return to the city to take a bus to Cornwall Park. Allow a good length of time to travel there and back, as well as to explore the park . Visit Skytower at dusk - night-time.

Day 2 - take a Mt Eden bus early in the day for this activity. Return to the city and time-permitting take a stroll around the Viaduct which is handy for the departure point of the Airbus at the Ferry Building. Alternatively have breakfast in the Viaduct area, then catch a bus to Mt Eden. Mt Eden should be about a 10 minute bus journey one-way, depending on commuter traffic.

Ironically, the Airbuses use Mt Eden Road as one of the 2 routes to the airport. Except I wouldn't know if it's possible to store luggage anywhere in Mt Eden village, while you are walking up to the summit.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 Days in Auckland

Breakfast in Mt Eden Village might have more appeal than anywhere in the Viaduct, and will give you a chance to experience one of Auckland's better inner city suburbs. You could use that space you seem to have between arriving and the harbour cruise to wander the Viaduct.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 Days in Auckland

Devonport is a nice village to stroll around. I enjoy the small naval museum, and walking on Cheltenham Beach is pleasant too.

4. Re: 1.5 Days in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central