We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

We are 4 seniors arriving AKL on Nov 13th at 7:00AM (after a long flight from LAX) for a Crystal Cruise that doesn't start boarding until 1:00PM so I need some advice.

Would you recommend that the 4 of us (with luggage) take a taxi to the port? ...or would a bus/shuttle be better? ....or?

Since we have about 5 hours 'to kill' before boarding the ship, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

beanb41, thanks for the exchange advice. I believe using ATMs will be the most expedient way to get NZ$ as needed. My bank doesn't charge a fee for doing that, although the ATM's bank very well may!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

pv s

Princes and Queen's Wharf are right next to each other so there is no need to worry which one it is.

If you click on the link I gave you in post #4 you can see Princes Wharf with the Hilton Hotel on it and the other is Queen's Wharf.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

Toddy, it's difficult to see that - the ad with girl looking at a red dress keeps getting in the way. :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

pv.s regarding your concerns about a fractured foot.

That puts a different light on everything.

First PLEASE accept my apologies -I constantly mix the name HILTON up with the hyatt.

Given your ship WILL get in to Princess wharf then I'd suggest your best bet is to just do your bag drop then go the extra 50 yards to the HILTON -as you walk in the entrance door turn hard right just before the lobby and you will be at the lifts.

Go to first floor head left and you will be in FISH.

you will be able to look out two sides to the harbour but on your right will be this great big solid lump--Your ship.

IF for some reason your ship has been shifted across to Queens wharf its going to be pretty odvious as the cab pulls up.You can then tell the cabbie to take you to queens wharf which is only 500yards to drive

Then you can do a bag drop.

My only worry now you mention the foot thing is that its a couple of hundred yards to a cafe.

heres a map that might help a bit http://www.wises.co.nz/l/princes+wharf+auckland+/#c/-36.841416/174.767064/17/

Edited: 20 August 2014, 04:56
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

It seems like our best situation would be to have the cab driver drop us off at the Hilton and make ourselves comfortable there (coffee in their cafe, etc). What kind of room is FISH?

Edited: 20 August 2014, 20:08
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

Fish is a fairly nice eaterie. I'd say its 4.5 star IMO

27. Re: Arriving Early for NZ Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central