We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

What are some recommendations for car rental companies in Auckland? We plan on taking the car to the North Island and flying back from Queenstown, so this would be a one-way rental.

Also, is it necessary to rent a GPS for the drive? I have a GPS on my phone. Will is work in New Zealand with an international roaming plan?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

Car rental companies : Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty

You need to check if okay to take car on ferry to South Island, cost, insurance to do this etc.

GPS is a personal thing. You either like having one or you don't! A lot of tourists to NZ say it was a waste having GPS; others say they wouldn't be without it!

For me - unfamiliar roads/towns/cities - I'd go for the GPS. You can get them car rental.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

I wish the OP would spend just a little time doing some of her own research before asking others to be her unpaid travel agent. If one spent about 10 minutes using the TA search engine she would find a plethora of recommendations about car rental companies both on site and off site in Auckland. It would be easy for the more than helpful TA members to do the work but some degree of self help should be required.

Post #2 comes across the issue of taking a car across the Cook Strait. None of the companies recommended permit this. There is one company that operates both in Auckland and Queenstown, allows and even assists with payment of taking a car across the ditch.

Lets see how quickly the OP can find out which one it is. Here's a hint its a company I use and recommend.

I don't believe a GPS is needed in NZ but others disagree. That's cool because it is personal preferences. IF you decide you want a GPS buying one may be cheaper than renting

Edited: 29 August 2014, 06:46
New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

Get a LOCAL GPS if you are wanting to go that route. And make sure it is updated well, sometimes they do not guide you the recommended route - they take the most direct one, which might not be a good road at all. I'd recommend a map instead, but some people do prefer the sat nav thing. It drives me barmy. "Turn left" "Turn right" "Missed turn, turn around" and so on.

As others have said, you cannot usually take a car on the ferry. The major companies will simply arrange for another car to be picked up at Picton.

Have a look through the major companies, search for example "hertz new zealand" and make lists, until you find the best deal, and or best car, to suit your needs, then book it with your credit card.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,396 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

As mentioned - if you do use GPS - and I don't think it needed in the South Island - then use it alongside a map.

Tourists have been sent along remote mountain 4WD roads by GPS and for some reason they keep driving! GPS must be used with some basic common sense.

5. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 23:05
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

beanb41 - I have done my research. I am asking for experiences of others. I found Apex to be the only rental car company that includes a ferry transfer with it's rental rate.

You don't need to respond to my posting it it's too much trouble for you. There are many others that are glad to oblige.

AT&T (my carrier), does have an international roaming plan. I've used it when traveling to other locations, i.e. Fiji last year.

I'm torn about using a GPS in New Zealand as I see looking at the maps online, the roads seem pretty straight-forward.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

"IF you decide you want a GPS buying one may be cheaper than renting."

beanb41 - If you would spend more time reading my question, you would know that I already have a GPS on my phone.

California
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

From town to town, there really is only one road so no GPS is necessary. If you have a road map of the country, you'll be fine. Be more aware of which town you anticipate to go through to get from point A to point B, than worry about highway numbers. Signs will indicate a turn by the name of town and very rarely, show a SH#.

9. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 14:16
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental companies at Auckland Airport and GPS Navigation

I would be mindful of using a cellphone as a GPS. One may get accused of texting or using the phone whilst driving. Both of which are illegal in NZ.

Nice to see that you did some research after all and by doing so will have found all the answers you need to answer your questions and there are heaps regarding the different companies already spoken of. What more do you need about them that hasn't been commented on already.

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central