We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland on New Years Eve

UK
1 post
Save Topic
Auckland on New Years Eve

I will be in Auckland for New Years Eve this year. I would appreciate some advice on where to go and what to do.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

To the Viaduct Basin with all it's restaurants and bars, things will be a little hectic I should imagine. You can also see the fireworks display at midnight off the harbour bridge from there.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

Ditto to the above comment: Viaduct basin is where you should be. There are many bars there and always a party atmosphere. Even if you are on your own, I'm sure you will find someone to chat to there. Also, depends on where you will be staying as I'm sure if yu are at a backpackers or similar then there will be others wanting to celebrate together.

3. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2006, 13:54
London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

Hi,

I'm an Aucklander living in the UK. I'm really sorry to be negative, I just have to advise you to overlook the 2 previous comments. I don't know what you like but I'm guessing that as a UK-based trip advisor member you won't want to spend NYE somewhere like the Viaduct, unless you like the idea of a provincial UK town's main street on a Friday night. Messy.

As I said, I don't know what you like, but there are a few good clubs/bars and some great restaurants, (we have amazing food). And the Viaduct is nice during the daytime!

You could do some research, http://www.metrolive.co.nz/ is Metro magazine's online presence, a good start. Or just go to the beach, but stay away from the drunk teenagers. Good luck!

Wellington / New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

The best place to be in Auckland on NYE is as far away from Auckland as possible :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

So long as it is not getting chundered on in Courtney Place in Wellington.

Auckland can offer you a a variety of things to do. You can hang around where the drunk/party folk are in The viaduct, the slightly less drunk ones up in Ponsonby (drinks more expensive) or Parnell (ditto drink prices). Be selective in which bars you go to. As with the UK the large ones playing loud music will have both the biggest parties but also the largets concentration of inebriated folk. There are several smaller bars along the viaduct that will be a bit more restrained (not by much though) such as Cowboy or Plum.

You could see it in on a beach on either coast, either with friends ( you will make them fast at that time of year) or by your self. There are secluded beaches on the West coast, only problem being getting there.

If you are with friends there is the possibility of heading up one of the mounts in the city, get a good view of fireworks going off.

Get friendly with the locals and you could end up seeing in the new year at someones BBQ. Not that bad an option.

Just a few hints

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

I think I'm going to be in Auckland on New Year's Eve as well. I'm traveling solo from the US, and have never been to NZ before, so I guess I'd also be one of those looking for stuff to do. Hopefully there will be enough folks in the hostel to get together with. Anyways, company is always welcome, so if there aren't any concrete plans, I'd be up for something! I'm 29 M FYI, and would be interested in any special New Year's events that Auckland has to offer. Not really much of a clubber, but if that's where everyone ends up going, that's fine.

Auckland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

Viaduct should be ok. I live in Auckland and there is live bands etc but may be a bit crowded. I suggest going to some bar/restaurant at mission bay, takapuna or devonport. Fireworks display is supposed to be quite good and can be viewed best from bayswater of devonport.

9. Re: Auckland on New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:18