We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

I land in Rotorua from Christchurch and plan to stay there that night and the next ?

Is there so much to see in Rotorua that i should spend two nights there...or am i better advised to spend an extra day in Christchurch or Queenstown for that matter ?

I plan to move to Auckland from Rotorua, where i have one night to stay..

So basically i could use a day extra in Rotorua/Christchurch/Queenstown.

Please advise.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

It depends how many days you already have in ChCh & Qtwn and also what your interests are. You could have an extra day in each of those towns and be happy, give us some clues and we'll be able narrow it down for you! :)

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

Silly me..here is the plan..As you see i reach Auckland on Day 10 night and have to spend 11 in Auckland too..Would i be better advised to spend somewhere else ?

Day 1: Land in Auckland, local sightseeting.

Day 2: (11:30 Hrs) Fly to Queenstown and explore

Day 3: Overnight Milford Sound Cruise

Day 4: Back from Milford (15:30 hrs) and stay in Queenstown

Day 5: Move to Franz Joseph ( 8 hour coach drive in Newmans)

Day6: Explore Franz Joseph

Day7: Leave Early to Greymouth to catch TranzAlpine to

Christchurch (Arrival 18:00 hrs)

Day8: From Christchurch got to Kaikoura and back to Chch (18:00 hrs)

Day9: Christchurch to Roturua (13:00 hrs) (Can i visit the Whakarewa Thermal Reserve and waitopo in the afternoon ? How far are these places)

Day10: Visit Places around Roturua and move to auckland ? ( From what i gather Waitomo caves are en-route ..so i plan to visit it on the way to auckland)

Day 11: Auckland ?? This is the day i might want to effectively use somewhere else

Day12: Leave NZ from Auckaland.

Thanks a ton ..

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

The caves aren't really en-route but can be done the way you're suggesting, it will add another 2 hours travel to your day plus the time spent at the caves.

Wai-o-tapu would be a full afternoon's visit and you'd still not see it all. It's 1/2 hour south of Rotorua, 3/4 hr from the airport. You would pass Wakarewarewa (are you meaning the geothermal area and cultural centre which is called Te Puia or the actual maori village- they are side by side) on the way there (10min from the Airport)

Regarding your extra night it's a toss up btwn Qtwn & Rotorua- you aren't really spending quality time in either place as you're arriving later in the day and then heading away to other places the next day, I think I'm leaning towards an extra day in Rotorua though- more touristy things to do (if you're looking for that- zorb, maori culture, hangi and show evenings (Mitai & Tamaki Village), agrodome, gondola, luge, rainbow springs, polynesian pools, spa treatments, geothermal parks, plus 13 beautiful lakes). Qtwn if you're more into natural surroundings, hikes, walks, mountains, jetboating, gondola, luge, wineries etc- remember of course you would have seen a lot of beautiful scenery in the south anyway- Te Anau and the glaciers.

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

Thanks Zappers...that basically means one more day in Queenstown or Rotorua.

I think i am not spending quality time around Queenstown, maybe i could look around places in Queenstown. I am hoping to base myself in Queenstown and then move around from there for places within an hours journey..

My only regret is not much time in Auckland..but from what i notice on this forum, Auckland is rarely disucssed and am hoping half a day is enough.

This forum is great !

5. Re: Extra day to spend: rotorua/Auckland/Christchurch ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 08:16