We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access East Cape

New Zealand
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Internet access East Cape

We are travelling around the East Cape next week in a campervan staying at holiday parks etc. Does anyone know what the internet access is like - are there any internet cafes anywhere around the cape or holiday parks that have internet? Obviously Gisborne is OK but thinking about places in between there and Opotiki.

Also would like to know what the cellphone coverage is like here - we are with Telecom.

Thanks

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet access East Cape

We spend a bit of time each summer near Te Kaha. This area is sparsely populated (which is part of the appeal) and I have never noticed any internet cafes. However, some accommodation is likely to offer internet access but this is would mostly be dial up as I don't think they have much access to broadband. I am pretty sure that Te Kaha Beach Resort has internet access - I suggest you contact them to check. The aren't a campground but offer meal options and are just down the road from the Te Kaha Holiday Park.

I have a Telecom mobile and it gets patchy reception on the western side of the peninsula. I would think that this is also true for the eastern side with the best coverage likely to be closer to Gisborne. If possible, it might be best to try and enjoy some time away from technology and get into the East Cape relax vibe. Have a great trip.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet access East Cape

Many thanks - moreorless what I thought. I agree - we do want to have a break from the real world. But we do need to keep in contact a little bit for our business. Looking forward to the trip.

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet access East Cape

Yep, Gizzy resident here. Your assumptions are pretty accurate. Once you leave us, you lose cell coverage really quickly, and at best it will be inconsistent all aound the coast until you get to Opotiki (lots of little bays etc with minimal chance of coverage.) As for web access, this is a bit of hit and miss - everywhere has coverage, unlikely to get wireless, and you may only have limited luck with accommodation having room access - best to call them and ask if it is that important. Relax and chill here, let the world pass you by for a couple of days. Weather is perfect, hope you have a good time.

4. Re: Internet access East Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gisborne