We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

san diego
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

I have been to Auckland but never took the train to Wellington. Does the tranzscenic rail only leave from Britomart station or does it have stops closer to the airport where I can depart from? Should I stay closer to airport or to the station? I'm kinda confused looking on the internet as to where I should catch the rail. Also, what's the best way to get to a hotel without it costing an arm and a leg? Help!! I'm not going until November but I like to be prepared....

1. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 01:05
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

To the best of my knowledge your choices are Britomart, Papakura and Pukekohe. Britomart is probably going to be the easiest to get to with airport shuttles running into the city.

If you have a night before catching the train, spend it in the city. There is more to do than around the airport.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

calblond,

I suggest that you make your way to the CBD and stay in a hotel close to Britomart station where the Overlander departs. The other 2 stops are some way south of the airport.

Overnigfht accommodation in the CBD - you wont get any closer than the Mercure Auckland hotel at Britomart. On the other side of Customs St, say 5 minutes walk to Britomart there are Mercure Windsor (converted office building) and The Quest on Queen. Both are on Queen Street.

Cheapest and simplest way to get to the Mercure/Britomart area is taking the Airbus Express which departs outside Arrivals hall (towards Novotel hotel). Cost is $26 adult return. One way is $16. This bus runs a dedicated route from airport to city & return. The drivers ask all passengers where they are staying and will guide you to accommodation from the nearest stop. The Airbus terminates at the ferry buuilding, but you may be set down opposite Mercure at Britomart, depending on traffic at that time. http://www.airbus.co.nz

Have a look at discounted accommodation rates on sites like www.wotif.com and www.ezibed.co.nz for Auckland CBD. The further away from Britomart precinct you'll likely need a taxi fare if taking the Airbus into the city. But for overnight stay and absolute convenience I suggest you book as close to Britomart as possible. The Overlander departs Britomart at 0725, which is why I suggest that you book accommodation handy to the station.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 21:40
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,767 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

It depends on your definition of "arm & a leg". I mostly stay in hostels, for their friendly atmosphere as well as prices.

san diego
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

Thanks to all of you! I actually booked a room at the Mercur Hotel Windsor because it was close to Britomart. Purely by accident ( before I read your comments) I found the Airbus Shuttle. I'm booking that right after this comment. Thanks again!

6. Re: Arriving Auckland airport-on to Wellington next day...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 21:15