We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

I am traveling to New Zealand from the United States in October. We are staying at several B & Bs on the north island. One B & B is requiring full payment at the time of booking. Is that normal? The others didn't require anything. I'm hesitant about giving someone full payment in advance. Any advise?

Thanks

Oz
Level Contributor
12,491 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

Hi,

My advice is to:

a) Find somewhere else.

b) Have good travel insurance if you really want to book there.

c) Pay with a credit card that has built in travel insurance, if you really want to book there.

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

And my advice, book elsewhere.

There is no reason to ask for payment up front and I'm sure Hamilton will have plenty of alternatives.

aatravel.co.nz/new-zealand/Hamilton_Bed-Brea…

best of luck :)

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

Seems to me, the B & B where full payment up front is requested may be the type of place where people don't want to stay once they actually see the place. Doubt if a refund would be forthcoming either, if your plans changed suddenly.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,595 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

Your answers surprise me. I am currently planning a trip that includes B&Bs in England and (with one exception - organised through a friend of the owner) they all require full payment upfront!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

Prepaying for accommodation is definitely not the norm in New Zealand. Most accommodation providers will require a credit card reference, and some may require a deposit, but very few will require full payment.

(Of course if you book through WOTIF you have to prepay in full.)

I imagine anyone requiring full prepayment has been caught numerous times by no shows, or late cancellations, or guests not staying once they arrive. Reasons can be many, but the most likely is that the accommodation did not live up to the guest's expectations.

Different countries will have different rules, but in New Zealand we tend to trust in folks integrity, and asking for prepayment implies a lack of trust.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

We will be staying in private rooms at YHA hostels this summer - we'll be travelling with our young adult daughters and thought it would be fun for them having other young people around to meet and chat to. The hostels all required payment up front, but give a full refund if you cancel more than 24 hours out. I assume this is to reduce the number of no-shows. I would have thought the sort of people who stay at B&Bs would be a bit more reliable than the average backpacker, though.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

I've prepaid for accommodation in NZ a few times, primarily B&Bs and cottages. I paid for one particular place five months in advance, and I have no qualms about doing so as I've stayed there twice before.

It's common practice here in Australia to prepay for privately owned accommodation, often via wire transfer.

A small business like a B&B could be crippled by no-shows and last minute cancellations.

If you're that worried, look elsewhere, otherwise read the fine print carefully.

8. Re: Bed and Breakfast requiring full payment at time of booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 02:15