We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see in Napier

Which Napier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what to see in Napier

I will have a day free (on a tour) in Napier. What are the things not to miss?

home
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see in Napier

Not sure if you have accomacadations yet but I'd highly recommend Mons Logis-great breakfast for sure. While it is cheesy the Opossum world shop is a fun 30 minutes and a decent souvenier. I'd suggest the Art deco walking tour, the park at the North end of town that was built by the local prison population the man-made waterfull is very pretty. The black pebble beach is worth an early morning walk and the chips and a greasy spoon on the south side of town 2 blocks off the strip are the best I had in NZ. peace

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see in Napier

Hi,

Art Deco walking tour for sure, the Cape Kidnappers Gannet Colony and sampling some awesome local red wines.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see in Napier

You should definitely try to visit at least one of Napier's great wineries whilst you are there.

I would recommend going to Mission Estate, this is the oldest winery in the area, and the building and surrounding countryside are awesome. They do an interesting tour of the winery, and also have an excellent restaurant.

Almost next door to Mission Estate, is Church Road winery, another one of the longest established wineries in the area, which also has great wine and a good restaurant.

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
217 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see in Napier

Wine, wine and more wine, this is where we fell in love with the beverage! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see in Napier

Craggy Range winery had a great restaurant in a beautiful setting

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
217 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see in Napier

We loved Moana Park winery, very small and very intimate.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see in Napier

Depends on what your tour may already have for you while in Napier!

A walk through town (CBD) and along Marine Parade would be nice. Along Marine Parade from the town end is Ocean Spa - a hot salt water pool complex - take a swim and soak there, then through some gardens to the Sound Shell. Then past Putt Putt (mini golf) towards the Sunken Gardens all the way down to the National Aquarium of NZ. The walk won't take long - less than 25 min at a slow amble!

The Mission Winery and Church Road Winery as mentioned is situated in Church Road, Taradale. It is about a 10 to 15 min ride in a taxi at the most for example from Napier CBD.

Would recommend Mission winery and Vinyard - they do tours around their complex.

Going out to the gannet colony is nice if you are into birds but that will take half to most of your day. It is best done on the tractor and trailor that leaves Haumoana and takes about 4 hours all up. Though there is a 4WD option.

The tractor and trailer option can be viewed on this website http://www.gannets.com/

I have not done it, but my mother in law loves it and always takes out visitors there.

The Art Deco walk would be good to do and won't take too much out of your day. This is in the CBD.

You can also take a guided tour in a old car around the Art Deco area of Napier. All details here http://www.artdeconapier.com/

Going up to Bluff Hill lookout to take in the view of Napier and surrounding area is great. This is on Napier Hill (by CBD) and is above the port. A short drive or walk up the hill following a map or signs will do it.

Well that was a few options anyway.

Canada / New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see in Napier

I really like the botanical gardens , close too Bluff Hill

Hot Chick , Cool Cat in Ahuriri is great as well ,THE BEST rotisserie chicken!

They've made some great improvements in the wharfside area of Ahuriri as well , Lots of decent bars/pubs.

r s
NZ
Level Contributor
194 posts
724 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see in Napier

when will you visit Napier?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: what to see in Napier

Somebody told us they have a big market on a Sunday, anybody know where and what time its on?