We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

island
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Is it still in Napier? Or it has closed down?

Is it still good?

Thanks.

Note: Typo Error in the title. Should be "Wok Want you want".

Edited: 14 December 2010, 07:34
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

If this is the place that was on the Marine Parade, then yes I'm fairly certain it has closed down.

However there are plenty of other great places to eat in Napier!

island
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Thanks for your reply. And would love to listen to your recommendation. Emphasis on food more than environment. And would love to try something special in Napier, rather than the normal NZ steak/lamb. Not that I don't like NZ steak/lamb, but I could have try it in other cities in NZ. If there is anything special in Napier, I would love try that. Any recommendation?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Apologies Happy Hunter - I missed your reply. If you haven't been to Napier yet, then I can recommend Three Doors Up at Ahuriri, Silky Oaks Chocolate Factory ( they have a cafe as well as chocolate factory - great food & coffee!), the Turkish restaurant in Hastings Street (Napier), Hawkes Bay Seafoods in Pandora (Napier), Thirsty Whale (Ahuriri ) for lunch.

If you have already been to Napier then please advise what food places you found!

island
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Nop, I haven't been there. My trip is in March. Will check out those places you mentioned. Thanks!

island
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

I found what I want! hawkes bay seafoods! Thanks!

There are selling uncooked food and judging from their website(http://www.hawkesbayseafoods.co.nz/), I think they have a restaurant selling fish & chip and some other cooked seafood. Menu is limited and no price listed in the page though.

Buying the uncooked seafood and cook seems to be more interesting. But I doubt if the B&B I am going to stay would allow me to use their kitchen. So maybe I will check out what they have to offer on the spot.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Happy Hunter - I can DEFINITELY recommend Hawkes Bay Seafoods at Pandora! As you have seen from their website, they are a complete seafood shop. Suggest if your budget allows it, you buy a NZ cooked crayfish (ask them to cut it in half for you!), try our fabulous NZ mussels or oysters. This place will also cook your selected piece of fish in either batter or crumbed (breaded) - my favourites are gurnard & tarakihi both crumbed!

They also sell pottles of minced NZ paua meat & NZ whitebait so if you can find a kitchen you could try cooking paua patties and or whitebait fritters!

Enjoy!

island
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Yes, I am happy with it! It is the LOCAL restaurant that I am looking for.

Thanks for all the tips! Will they reheat the cooked crayfish for me? I will cover Kaikoura and Hampden in my trip, which I read these two places offer awesome crayfish. So, is it still worthy to order one at Hawkes Bay Seafoods? Fresher? Cheaper? I will keep in mind to order oyster & mussel! Oh, I only have one stomach!

I am on a budget trip, but do not mind spending a bit more for something worthwhile. But do you have any idea the price of the dishes in their restaurant? I could only find uncooked seafood price from their page.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

It is not a 'restaurant' however they do have a few tables & chairs that you can sit and eat at. Prices are average for 'fish & chips' in NZ, from memory you will get a good sized piece of cooked fish with chips for approx NZD10.00, a little more cost if you select 'your piece of fresh fish' from the fresh filleted display cabinet.

Generally you would eat the cooked crayfish cold. Crayfish only eaten 'warmed' when served with sauce such as mornay sauce.

Ask the staff at Hawkes Bay Seafoods if the crayfish is caught locally, ie caught in Hawkes Bay. As this place also has export facilities then I would think that their crayfish is local. If not, then wait for Kaikoura!

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

Yes, it's been closed for...maybe 2 yrs.

10. Re: Wat what you want Mongolian BBQ Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 10:22