We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Which Napier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

I will be in Auckland in Feb 2103 & have always wanted to visit Napier ( to see the buildings), & Hawke's Bay (summer fruit & wine).

Just realized that my planned trip (Thur to Sat) coincides with Art Deco Weekend.

I don't intend to go to the events, but will happily watch a parade or enjoy the music if it happen to be around.

Should I avoid the area altogether, or can I still have an enjoyable time without being caught in traffic or paying exorbitant return airfare from Auckland or sky high hotel rates?

If still possible to visit from Thur to Sat, can you suggest a base from where I can easily get to the Napier airport , drive around the region & have some respite from the thousands of people expected?

Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Low price airfares are still available for that weekend, so if you book fairly soon, that part of it shouldn't be a problem. I've never actually been to the weekend itself, so I can't advise on the other questions.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

I was at the Art Deco weekend last year purposefully to see the parade. I ended spending most of my time around the city where events where taking place, and thinking joining in would have even more fun. No major disruptions and even when the parade and car display on Saturday closed some streets alternate routes seemed to be available.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Definitely not. Art Deco weekend is what Napier is all about. Go and enjoy.

Napier, New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Hi there.

I am the General Manager of the Art Deco Trust so of course I am going to say great things about the event...!!! But I do have to say if Napier is on your "must do" lists then the very best time to come and enjoy is over the Geon Art Deco Weekend period. It is great that you are planning to come on Thursday, you will be able to get your bearings and perhaps do an Art Deco Walk around the city to get the Napier story from one of our wonderful walking tour guides. Thursday is a perfect day for doing this or even early Friday so you can gain knowledge and find out about the history of our city at the beginning of your trip.

There is so much to do over the Weekend, both in terms of ticketed events and free events - but if you want to escape the hustle and bustle - it is really easy to do so. People do tend to get caught up in the moment though and few drift away from the action.

If there is any way you can extend your trip to Sunday, you will enjoy an amazing Gatsby picnic that takes place pretty much down the entire length of the garden area of Marine Parade. It is an amazing site to see - everyone dressed in Deco sitting back in the sunshine listing to fantastic Jazz music and enjoying the atmosphere.

The team at the Napier isite should be able to give good advice on accommodation in the area - but if you can't get in the City, try Ahuriri or Westshore hotel / motels. Hastings also is just a short 20 min drive away.

If you would like a brochure on the event - see www.artdeconapier.com or contact me directly on trust@artdeconapier.com

Good luck for your decision - I hope I have helped! Sally

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Hi there, having lived most of my life in Napier I am going to say deffinately dont miss it, Napier comes alive at "Art Deco weekend" yes it is busy and yes there are thousands of extra people here, there are only a few disruptions in the inner city to traffic and as you can imagine getting a car park can be a little challenging but apart from that it is all worth while,

as far as finding somewhere out of the way to stay have a look here

www.hawkesbaynz.com/index.php/accommodation…

aatravel.co.nz/new-zealand/Taradale_Motels-S…

my first suggestion would be Colonial Court or Ballina both are in Taradale ((10 minutes from the city centre) but far enough away to be quiet and the Taradale shopping centre is very comprehensive containing, all manner of shopping and restaurants.and its an easy drive to the airport,Hastings/Havelock North area and also Napier city so you can just see those parts of Art Deco that you wish to see.

Sally J Welcome to the Napier forum and TA, is it wonderful to see someone with your knowledge and experience here to give our Napier visitors the help they need

cheers john

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Thanks for popping in Sally and giving us all the good oil on Art Deco weekend

singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Thank you everyone for the info. I will visit!

I myself love the era, and can still do a good "Lindy Turn" ( swing dance) . I was just worried about dragging the rest of my family along & having us all end up frustrated & inconvenienced.

I will get started right away, to book flights & accommodation asap.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Hi the nyaheathero, Glad to hear you will come and visit our fine city, if there is anything else we can do you help put another post on this forum and we will do what we can

cheers john

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Crowd and congestion in Napier would not even register in Singapore. Art Deco weekend is a reason to go to Napier, not miss it.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

I visited NZ back in 2009 and by chance happened to find myself in Napier during the Art Deco weekend. I was able to get a motel at short notice although accommodation does get booked up well in advance. It was one of the best experiences of my trip and I would strongly recommend anyone holidaying in the North Island to visit Napier during that weekend - you won't regret it!