We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

Which Napier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

I will be in Auckland in Feb 2103 & have always wanted to visit Napier ( to see the buildings), & Hawke's Bay (summer fruit & wine).

Just realized that my planned trip (Thur to Sat) coincides with Art Deco Weekend.

I don't intend to go to the events, but will happily watch a parade or enjoy the music if it happen to be around.

Should I avoid the area altogether, or can I still have an enjoyable time without being caught in traffic or paying exorbitant return airfare from Auckland or sky high hotel rates?

If still possible to visit from Thur to Sat, can you suggest a base from where I can easily get to the Napier airport , drive around the region & have some respite from the thousands of people expected?

Thanks.

r s
NZ
Level Contributor
194 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

bring some braces, bow tie, get a straw bowler...and join the F U N.

it's A GREAT TIME IN NAPIER! any time but especially Art Deco Week

WELCOME!

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

stay stay stay

I am local, and I am retuning form Bangkok to be at the Napier Art Deco week.

This is the best art deco event in the world.

I personally invite you join us at the

www.couchsurfing.org

see Hawkes Bay groups, and activities, . see its website.

ask for me and we will look after you.

I have had people stay with me from all over the world over this week in the past, and they all still say it is one of the highlights of their life. see my facebook or couchsurfing web site.

dress up in some old fashion clothes, join in with the public, and dance in the streets each night.

see

artdeconapier.com/pages/geon-art-deco-weekend

if you need a home stay or room to rent for the week, let me know via here or couchsurfing.org website, (I am in Hastings) or even couchsurf and meet the locals, that is what travel is about.

and sally said it all in her reply. where else would you get "the general manager" writing directly to you.

Hawkes bay will look after you.

max neumegen

r s
NZ
Level Contributor
194 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

plenty of accommodation available in NAPIER for Napier's fun event on the calendar

look at Trip Advisor advertisers in the B&B category

lots of good space available

singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

I'd like to say "Thank you " to all who encouraged me to visit during Art Deco weekend.

My family had a great time in the Hawke's Bay area, and our one-day visit to Napier during the festivities was indeed the highlight of our trip.

Being unsure of our timing & schedule, we didn't pre-book for any events that Friday. Some were full, but that didn't stop us from appreciating the lovely architecture on a self-guided walk, admiring the gleaming vintage cars which had arrived for Saturday's parade, and smiling at all the folks who were dressed up. We enjoyed the air show & evening concert, and felt transported back in time.

Parking had been a real concern of mine, but we arrived in the early afternoon & got a space just a short walk from the action.

Good job to all the organizers!

r s
NZ
Level Contributor
194 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

it's a great event in a 'hidden gem' location on NZ' North island's East Coast.

Don't miss it!

26. Re: Should I avoid Art Deco Weekend 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 22:15