We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions of what not to miss in Napier - within walking distance of the i Site? We will have 2 to 3 hours to spare.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

I'm sure Joker from Napier will jump on this thread .....!!!!

A visit to Heaven's Bakery in Emerson Str (main street for shops) - best meatballs, club sandwichs and lolly cake!!

O'Possum World across from iSite is worth a look-see and a laugh - in Australia they are an endangered species - not so in NZ!!

Maybe look at taking a cab out to Taradale (15mins from city centre) and visit a winery or two?

If heading out to Taradale, stop at Silky Oaks Chocolate Factory - to die for chocolates and they also have a great little shop that has Kiwiana tourist items.

Joker will offer lots more of ideas I'm sure!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Take a walk around and look at Napier's art deco architecture. There are brochures with walking routes which I think the i-Site probably has. If you spot a shop selling Rush-Munro's ice cream, it's locally produced and worth trying.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Hi trish at the top right of this page you will find the

"top questions about Napier" section

take a look at

'What to do in Napier" especially "what do do in the Heart of Napier"

I put together a list of activities that there is to do, It will keep you busy for a day or two.

also as Selsey suggested a "Rush Munroe" ice cream is worth a try, there is a little shop on Marine Parade in the building that used to house Marineland

or if you prefer this is a little "Gelati" shop opposite the I-site,

expat -day after day I check this forum and for months i get nothing new at all

so its really exciting to get a question that I can answer lol lol Im not a stalker honestly Im not and I agree 100% about silky oak

cheer john

Edited: 10 October 2012, 01:44
New Zealand
Level Contributor
364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Definitely do a self guided art deco walk, you can get maps, brochures etc from the I site. Plenty of cafes, bars and ice cream stores en route. If you aren't feeling energetic just hang out at the sound shell or at the bar opposite and people watch.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Definitely do a self guided art deco walk, you can get maps, brochures etc from the I site. Plenty of cafes, bars and ice cream stores en route. If you aren't feeling energetic just hang out at the sound shell or at the bar opposite and people watch.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 06:05
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

WOW!!! :) Thank you all so very much for your informative replies. Silky Oaks has us excited but I looked into car hire for the day and it's $100. Actually, probably the important questions I need to find out, is Silky Oaks open on a Sunday and how much do you think a taxi will be there and back? Or, after all the suggestions of ice cream, gelati & meatball sandwich - maybe we should walk!!

I really appreciate all of your comments and help, thank you very much :) it's definitely given us a lot more to do.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

A taxi from the airport to Taradale is just over $30, so I'd guess from the city centre it would be just slightly less. If you're thinking about exercise after the chocolate eating, I know there are bicycles for hire somewhere in Taradale. I've seen people cycling along Church Rd to the vineyards.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Suggest you contact the following as they are local Napier tour operators who are well versed with the allowable timeframes with cruise ship stops in Napier. Perhaps you could list the places you wish to see and see if the tour operator can accommodate a tour to suit you?

www.hbscenictours.co.nz

www.baytours.co.nz

Silky Oaks Chocolates is open 7 days a week, closing early at 4pm on Sundays.

Please don't have a meatball sandwich - Heaven's Bakery does meatballs as a separate item, the club sandwiches are a separate item - and don't forget to have the lolly cake! Yes they are open on Sundays.

Did you try this place for Napier car hire if you are wanting to be independent?

carrentalsnapier.co.nz/Napier-rental-cars-sp…

Napier, New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Hey Trish - If you're coming in to Napier on a cruise ship take a look at this link for tours and activities especially for cruise pax - www.napiercity.co.nz/index.php…

Or take a look at this link for more general cruise info www.napiercity.co.nz/index.php…

As well as taking an Art Deco Walk, either guided or self guided (bookings and info from inside the i-SITE) you could take a stroll along Marine Parade to the National Aquarium - for kiwis, tuatara, sharks, alligators - all under one big roof. And from early Nov Little Penguins too. Stop along the way for a Rush Munro icecream from Lick This Icecream Parlour.

Take a walk (or hire a bike - book one at the i-SITE) along some of the Hawke's Bay Trails - the water trail is great, start from the i-SITE and go as far as you like. When you're out walking stop off at the Tom Parker fountain and say hello to Pania of the Reef - famous sculpture of a Maori Maiden - Napier's version of Copenhagen's Little Mermaid.

If you fancy a wine (and it's not too early in the morning) head over to the NZ Wine Centre - take a simulated wine flight around Hawke's Bay and take a taste of wines.

Wow - sounds great - need to have a day out myself.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do within walking distance of the Napier i SITE?

Selsy, thanks for the tip on the taxi fare and bikes, it's a great help.

Joker, Expat & Mini, your knowledge is going to make this stop very memorable and fantastic and I can't thank you all enough for your help. I look forward to checking out all the links and coming up with a great day :)

Thank You!! :)