We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Napier

Jefferson, Maryland
5 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Napier

My husband and I are staying in Napier over Christmas (arriving 12/23 & departing 12/26). We are looking for some dining recommendations for Christmas day/evening and perhaps a vineyard which might be open to visit? Other suggestions?

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Napier

We stayed and ate at the Country Hotel a few years ago. www.countyhotel.co.nz. Pricey, but it was very nice.

I'm not sure about the wineries, sorry. On Christmas Day, we walked some of the way to Cape Kidnappers in the morning, and went for a way along Napier's beach after we had finished digesting lunch.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Napier

Having just done similar research for myself, I found the following Christmas Day LUNCH options :

The Duke of Gloucester hotel (pub) in Taradale

The Old Church in Meeanee Road

The County Hotel

From previous years experience, The Old Church is pricey and modern (fusion) cuisine ; The County Hotel was very pricey for not a lot ; The Duke of Gloucester was well priced, friendly and great food, casual indoor outdoor dining, good wine list, very reasonably priced! If wanting to dine out for Christmas Lunch suggest you check websites for the above and book ASAP.

Another option would be go to HB Seafoods (Pandora) on Christmas Eve and buy local Hawkes Bay crayfish (lobster), oysters etc and make your own picnic seafood Christmas Lunch with a bottle or two of local wines! (They also have a website which you can email/order from for pick up - might be easier to book/order ahead rather than wait for Christmas Eve). All supermarkets have bakeries for fresh breads and delis for salad type items, ready to eats, etc. Excellent wines are available for sale in all supermarkets. My top choice of supermarket is New World at Greenmeadows ; second top would be Countdown supermarket Carlisle Street Napier.

For lunching or dining at wineries during your time in Hawkes Bay, suggest you make bookings early due to Christmas parties etc.

Suggest you google Hawkes Bay Wineries to give you a good head start!

3. Re: Christmas in Napier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Napier