We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napier town orientation - accommodations?

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Napier town orientation - accommodations?

Hello:

We (2 people) will be visiting Napier for a 2 night stay in mid February. I have been reviewing the forum and some hotels but I an struggling to get an orientation to the town. Here are some questions that I would appreciate some help.

1. As an example how far a walk is the Econo Lodge from the isite? (Knowing this will greatly help me narrow my search for accommodations.)

2. I am looking for accommodations for 2 people (young but in our 40s) for a 2 night stay. We are looking for car parking, Wifi and laundry machines. We would like to keep the price under $80NZ for 2 people per night. We are open to backpacker style hostels.

Thanks for your help.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

Be aware that the map location Tripadvisor shows for the Econo Lodge is incorrect. The Econo Lodge is actually in Westshore, and would be a fairly solid walk from the I-site, maybe an hour? There is a bus service, and the port area is somewhat closer - there are some nice restaurants there. What activities are you planning to do in Napier?

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

Thank you Selsy for your quick response.

I used the map on google maps to see the location of the Econo Lodge and the I-site. They seemed sort of far away so your description of a 1 hour walk seems to fit. With your help I have been able to eliminate this area for accommodations.

Our main purpose for visiting Napier is to experience New Zealand wine. We are not wine experts but would like to have this tasting experience in your wonderful country.

We would like to visit the New Zealand Wine Experience on Shakespeare Road in the AMP building and go on a tour of wineries. We would also like to walk around the art deco style buildings and just soak in the vibe of the town. Time permitting we would like to climb up Bluff Hill Lookout.

I also notice that both days we plan to be in Napier large cruise ships will be docked. I am not sure how that will impact the experience and availability of wine tours.

So, for now I am looking for accommodation recommendations within a walk from the Wine Experience and restaurants.

Thanks for your help!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

For what you want to do, more central accommodation would be helpful. That would enable you to walk around the main art deco area, and climb Bluff Hill. For wine tours, maybe not so important because some of them will pick you up from your accommodation. If there are large cruise ships in, it may pay to book a wine tour. I don't have any specific accommodation recommendations, as I stay with family in the area.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

I know you said you're planning on being in Napier in mid-February. However, if any of your time overlaps with the Art Deco weekend (19-23 February), then accommodation may be at a premium.

www.artdeconapier.com/pages/events

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,781 posts
5,807 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

Mary K,

Which accommodation did you end up choosing? And how was it?

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

I stayed at the Criterion Art Deco Backpackers.

The location is ideal as is ti 1/2 block to the beach and in the heart of the art deco area. It is walking distance to many restuarants.

Here is my review.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

7. Re: Napier town orientation - accommodations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Napier