We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

Search didnt produce any fruitful replies.

Can anyone advise us on the parking situation.

Ideally we could find some accommodation nr MP in second week of March on the day? and then we could walk around freely.

Otherwise G Maps suggest its a 15 min walk from the Ahuriri area(across town), so at this time of year can you drive down to the seafront and park freely?? Perhaps a few streets away??

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

I think all motels along Marine Parade will provide free parking. (In my mind the "m" in "motel" means they cater specifically for motorists vs hotels).

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

If we stay outside Napier what is the parking situation mid week in the centre? Free after 6pm on the street??

The guide books dont explain and i dont think AA NZ website has anything more than P locations.

The Hawkes Bay Tourist site is all gloss and accommodation booking service too.

Anyone from napier out there??

Thanks ahead of any replies.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

All car parks along the Marine Parade are now metered ie pay for parking with time limits, generally 2 hours maximum. All motels/hotels have off street parking for guests. From Ahuriri there is a bus service which I think operates hourly from Ahuriri to Napier CBD. You will have no problem finding a car park in Napier CBD - I always use one in Dickens Street opposite the Quest Hotel. There is also a car park in Tennyson Street opposite the Viceroy Hotel. Parking cost is relatively cheap (well cheap compared to Sydney!)

Do be aware that parking tickets are freely issued in Napier - my all time record for one week whilst in Napier was four parking tickets - a nice little donation to the Napier City Council coffers! (My own fault of course!).

Suggest you look at motels along the Marine Parade to stay at, leave your car during the day and wander to the CBD (short stroll max 10mins on level ground). Or stay at Ahuriri and use the bus service. There is a boardwalk from Ahuriri to Napier if you are so inclined for a leisurely stroll in the sunshine!

Ashhurst, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

Yep, after 6 all the metered car parks are free though time limits may still apply? Car parks on the seaward side of Marine Parade are all free with a 2hr limit though there a few sneaky untimed ones in a car park towards the port (5 min walk from cbd).

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

Thanks guys for the comprehensive replies.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

Are you wanting to park overnight or just for an hour or two while you look around? We angle parked in Marine Parade near Browning Street for a couple of hours for no cost. I can't remember what the time limit was, I think it was either one or two hours. We had plenty of time to wander around the city centre for the time we were there anyway.

There is also a parking area a bit further along where Marine Parade becomes Breakwater Road but I'm not sure what the restrictions are for that area.

7. Re: On street Parking in central Napier and along Marine Parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 20:18