We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Napier worth a visit?

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Is Napier worth a visit?

Doing a 23 day camper tour of NZ, appreciate can't see everything. My question is, from Wellington heading North to Rotorua, is it worth going via Napier with a two night stop there, or direct to Rotorua, via Taupo for 1 night? If we go direct, it would give us 2 nights at Waihi Beach instead of 1. Your thoughts....

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

Only you can decide what is "worth it " to you. Thousands go to Napier every year to see the Art Deco architecture, the wineries and the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers.

OTH there is not a lot to do at Waihi apart from the beach - so what is more important to you.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

I personally would definitely add Napier/Hawkes Bay into my route, exp. if you are at all into food & wine.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

What time of year is your trip?

A second vote to AndyChef's post!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

I'm not sure what time of year you're travelling to New Zealand.

I love Napier and Hawkes Bay over the summer period. It is a real foodies delight. The wineries are amazing, the climate is usually good for camper vanning. Over summer it is the fruit bowl of the North island too.

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

February/March. Like food and wine but done France etc. More interested in the scenery and surrounds.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

Have visited Napier as a cruise ship passenger a couple of times. A unique and delightful town and my only beef with the place was we weren't able to spend enough time there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
5,777 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

Can't speak for all visitors but making our 3rd trip to North Island over the past 9 years, next month and spending 3 nights. This is very good wining/dining part of the country and the Art Deco architecture adds a nice charm to some lovely country.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

I visited last year in late November. Being a Muslim, I wasn't there for the food and wine but the art deco architecture. I LOVED Napier! It's such a cute and cheerful town. Every building was gorgeous (IMO). I also drove up Te Mata Peak. Scariest drive ever, but the view was so totally worth it.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

Yes it is - have a look at the art deco and spanish mission architecture, hear about the earthquake that flattened the place in 1931, and the art deco city that rose from the ashes. Much of present day Napier was once 3m under water. There are some nice reserves within 20 minutes drive - my favourite was the one at Tangoio, when I lived in Napier. You might like to see the gannets at Cape Kidnappers, and enjoy the view at Te Mata Peak, but as others have said, it's a scary road up there!

Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Napier worth a visit?

I was wondering the exact same thing, just in reverse. Whether to drive from Taupo straight to Wellington, or do Taupo - Napier - Wellington.

I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post, but can anyone tell me...

a) If i'm going to visit the Marlborough wineries in the south island, is the trip to Napier for the Hawkes bay wineries still worth it? How different are they? (besides the obvious diff wines etc).

b) Is the drive from Napier - Wellington a lot more scenic than the drive from Taupo-Wellington? (this might be a factor in deciding too)

I won't be able to go out to cape kidnappers to see the gannets (checked tide times for that day i'll be there if i include it, and its bad timing) unfortunately, otherwise this would have probably made me definitely detour to Napier. Now i'm wondering if just the food/wine and some architecture are worth it :)