We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

My partner and I are looking at touring part of the North Island by car. One option we are considering is driving from Paihia to Thames and then using Thames as a base to explore the Coromandel Peninsula. Does this seem like a feasible idea: our research has not turned up much information on the approximate driving time from Paihia to Thames, whether road and weather conditions mean that drive will be a relaxed one in March or whether Thames is a suitable touring base for the Coromandel Peninsula. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

Hi

The drive from Paihia to Thames will take you a good 4 1/2 to 5 hours plus stops. Road and weather conditions would not be of concern. Try and avoid Auckland first thing in the morning and mid to late afternoon. The motorway will take you straight through but at busy times it can get rather congested.

I would suggest that you use Google Maps to plan routes. The times are basic driving times and you can add on plenty for stops.

I would suggest that either Coromandel itself or Whitianga would be nicer places than Thames but others may well have other ideas.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

Hi there

The paihia to Thames drive would be around 5 hours - easily do-able in a day and a really nice drive.

Thames would be Ok for an overnight, but I would recommend Tairua or Whitianga (on the Eastern side of the Coromandel) as better places to spend a couple of days as a base to explore the peninsula.

To get to Tairua would add another hour or so to your journey, but still do-able in a long day....

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

As the others have said. The drive is doable and it is a lovely drive.

I would suggest one night in Thames, then use Whitianga as your base for exploring Coromandel.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

While Paihia to Thames is doable in a day if you have the time stop either north or south of Auckland and take an extra night.There are many lovely places to stay either on the west coast or the east coast.

Kumeu, Muriwai, the Waitakeres on the west and on the east Whangaparaoa and Orewa or south of Auckland on the coast around Miranda.

And my main point is that there is so much to see and do between Auckland and Paihia that to rush it all you will be doing is driving for a day. Travel north on the west coast and then south on the east coast to take advantage of the best views and driving conditions.

I personally would base myself at Whitianga to see the Coromandel Peninsular. o not miss the Driving Creek Railway at Coromandel Township, it is just something else.

Kay

Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

Thank you all for the replies. I think we will drive up the west coast as suggested and the east side back to Auckland. Thames overnight sounds good, it will give us a litttle time for stops as we drive, with travel to the Peninsula proper the following morning. Guide books are usefull to a point but helpfull local advice is far better.

6. Re: Paihia to Thames then to explore the Coromandel Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Paihia