We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Is there secure parking when visiting the Waitangi Treaty Grounds?

We will have our luggage in the trunk of our rental car - the car has a large visible sticker announcing the name of the rental company.

Thanks!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

I understand your concern, and there has been much discussion on this forum about why rental car companies in NZ have decided to 'brand' their cars so obviously - I believe it must make rental vehicles an easier target for thieves. However, almost every rental car company does it in one way or another. I think Avis may be the only one I can think of that doesn't.

The parking at Waitangi is probably one of the more secure locations for tourist spots around the country.

However, if you are uncomfortable with the parking arrangement in any way, stop off at the Paihia I-site just before you get to Waitangi, and ask them to store your luggage for a few hours.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Thanks very much for responding, your information and advice, ANDYCHEF. We've had a great time here near Pataua North and will be making our way up to the Waitangi Treaty House tomorrow afternoon.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Glad you have enjoyed Pataua North (one of my local haunts). Enjoy your time at Waitangi - where are you staying tomorrow night ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,270 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

The fact that a car has a rental company sticker does not necessarily mean that it contains luggage. Petty criminals are unlikely to take the effort and risk of breaking into a car unless they have some substantial reason to believe that it contains something of value.

I think that luggage in a parked car is fairly safe, provided that nothing of any value is visible and you do nothing to indicate that there is luggage. If you want to get stuff in/out of the luggage area, stop and do this well before you get to the place where you will park. When you park, just lock the car and walk away.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Thanks - I think we'll be fine. From Pataua North, we'll visit the Waitangi Treaty grounds for several hours, arriving in plenty of time for the 1 PM cultural performance and then take a guided tour. Then we're driving to Omapere to visit the Kauris.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

I'm also glad to hear you are enjoying Pataua North, Journeyer. We are blessed in the Whangarei district having a number of extraordinary beaches at our fingertips. They have a magical quality about them. I live away for part of the year, so can't wait to step onto a Northland beach again soon.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

ANDYCHEF & FRANGIPANI08 - we've really enjoyed the Pataua North area. The walking and the beaches have been so relaxing and we simply want to soak in the air and breezes. In addition to walking, we've done some kayaking in the estuary and that's been great fun meeting New Zealanders. Perhaps next time we will locate ourselves closer to Whangarei Heads or the Tutukara Coast.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 08:28
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Great to hear you are considering a next time already. And yes, that estuary is a little safe haven isn't it? Hope it isn't crowded like our Waiheke Is beach has been today. If it has been, I can understand that others will want to discover Pataua North for themselves. Matapouri area and Wellington's beach will be awesome to visit next trip.

Enjoy the BOI and your visit to Waitangi Treaty Grounds.

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

Hi, The parking at Waitangi is as secure as any where else. Just don't leave anything visible. Regards Sue

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secure parking for Waitangi Treaty grounds?

I don't think you'll have any problems. We stayed at the hotel next door with a rental and visited the treaty grounds. The car park looks as good as anywhere else as long as you don't leave anything visible. You will really enjoy what they offer, it is a truly wonderful place. Hats off to the guy who mows all those lawns too!

Martin

Get answers to your questions about Paihia