We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day cruises out of Paihia

Which Paihia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Day cruises out of Paihia

Hi,

My wife and I would be coming to Paihia for our honeymoon in march 2007.. Could someone suggest which is the best day cruise option... we would like to do some sailing, dolphin watching, beach walking and kayaking if possible...

Also, is it important to make bookings in advance, or would I be better served to come down there and figure out... (we are staying 3 nights at Paihia)...

Many thanks

Ravi

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Congratulations Ravi on your up and coming wedding, all the very best for the future.

You would be best to wait until you get to Paihia to choose your tour(s), there are plenty of options available. You may have to do a couple of tours to cover all your "must dos". There is a very good i-site (info centre) in Paihia where you can check everything out.

Have a look at "The Rock", you can stay out overnight, they have kayaks available and will pull into various bays and beaches to let you swim and walk and you'll also get the chance to see dolphins.

http://www.rocktheboat.co.nz/

Here are a few others to check out;

http://www.fboi.co.nz/main.aspx

http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz/holerock.php

www.sailnz.co.nz/default.asp…

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Ravi

We holiday a lot in Paihia, we have timeshare there.

The best trip we have found for a day in the Bay is Kings day trip to the Hole in the Rock. They also do a half day trip.

The full day trip goes out and through the Hole in the Rock, stops off on a quiet beach for lunch, boom netting on the way home.

En route to and from the Hole in the Rock they are continuously searching for whale and dolphins and if possible will get you to swim wuth the dolphins.

If you dont see any dolphons or whale during your trip they are known to give you a free credit to go another day.

We have done both the Kings and Fullers trips but prefer KIngs.

Delhi
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Thanks very much both!!

will have a look at the sites and probably go with Kings...

I had one more query - wanted to rent a car and drive down from auckland to paihia and back... We needed a compact car, reliable ad reasonably fun to drive (we'll have almost no luggage)..

i understand there are multiple car rental agencies and i can compare rates across them - but is there any suggestion on which car we should go for...?

Thanks!

ravi

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

I would recpmmend a Toyota Corolla or something similar, plenty of room, comfortable and has enough grunt to get you where you want to in a hurry if necessary. It is also very economical. It is approx 1600 cc.

For something a little more fun you may wish to try a MX5 convertible. More expensive but more fun.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Ravi, have a look at my photos (click on my name) towards the bottom are some of the Bay of Islands. There is one there of the Fullers boat on the Hole in the Rock trip, if you want to leave an email on here I can send you others of the Kings Boat with the boom net (it's a huge net hung out the side of the boat that you climb into while the boat is moving, it's great for people who aren't confident in the water) and Rock the Boat.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

ravi another day trip in the Bay you may wish to consider is a day sale on the tall ship R Tucker Thompson. We have also done this - it is a great day out and again they stop in a quiet bay for a swim and a barbeque lunch is provided. Cost abouut $100 per adult.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

bean, they've sold the R Tucker Thompson and it no longer sails out into the Bay, a pity 'cause it was a great way to see the islands.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

The Tucket THompson was gifted to the people of Northland and is now operated by a Trust. According to their website which I checked a few minutes ago (www.tucker.co.nz) they are day running out of Russell until end of April.

I hope its true becuase we are planning on another trip on the old girl in just over 4 weeks.

That is if we can get through the NOrthland rain.

Delhi
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Thanks Zappers and Bean! Its wonderful to see your friendly responses and warms our hearts ...!

Hey, was there some mention of a lot of rain...? Is the 1st week of march a bad time to be out in Northland...?

ravi

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day cruises out of Paihia

Ravi, I certainly hope not as Im taking my holidays in the Bay of islands during the first two weeks of March. The rain up north will soon move to Tauranga to keep Zappers garden well and truly irrigated.

Get answers to your questions about Paihia