We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

We'll have 2 days to go surrounding Rotorua. The first day was including driving from Auckland to Rotorua in the morning, drop our luggages then go out for the daytrip by car. There were 2 attractions in mind which are the Huka Falls then taking a dip Kerosene Creek. I'm not really interested in going to Waiotapu and Lady Knox Geyser because we'll come back the next week with our big family to visit Te Puia which should be pretty similar.

The second day, we'll have the White Island Tour then we'd stop by the Mount Whanganui and Kiwi Farm.

Any other recommendation is appreciated especially I'd need it for the first day.

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

sorry I did not reiterate properly in the first post. Here is the complete story. My editing time has expired

Me and hubby would drive from Auckland to Rotorua, spend 3 days there then fly out to Queenstown to join our family tour. Then we'd go back to Rotorua with our family the week after visiting Te Puia, Rainbow Spring, Hobbiton and Waitomo Glowworm Caves.

So we're a bit blank of what to visit especially on the first daytrip around Rotorua. What comes to mind are Huka Falls and a dip in Kerosene Creek. I'm not really interested with Waiotapu since we're going to visit TePuia with our family. We'd have the hangi and the Maori dance and geyser viewing in Tepuia already.

The second day, we'll have the White Island Tour then we'd stop by the Mount Whanganui and Kiwi Farm.

3rd we'd stroll around Rotorua downtown before driving back to Auckland and fly on that day to Queenstown.

Any other recommendation is appreciated especially I'd need it for the first day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
687 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

Just to throw an idea or two - Polynesian Spa, or Hells Gate.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

hi Travel-future-ahoy

Thanks for the recommendations. Both are great but we'll have 2 spas arranged when joining the family tour. One of them is Hanmer Spring I recall. We will visit the White Island too so I feel that another trip to sulphuric area might be a bit uncalled for.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
128 reviews
4. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

Since you are also driving from Auckland to Rotorua that same day, a visit to Huka Falls, a look at the great lake and possibly Aratiatia rapids if the timing of the release of the hydro-dam fits in with your program. Stop at Kerosene Creek on the way back to Rotorua.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

thanks Frangipani08

Aratiatia is also very close with Huka Falls so it fits my itinerary very well too. yeah we need to consider the travelling time from Auckland and the day before just going back from BOI to Auckland so something light and scenic would be good.

will do Kerosene Creek the last too as i read it'd be quiet stinks and no public shower around? Would it be less sunny or hot if we do the Creek above 4pm?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,660 posts
443 reviews
6. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

I don't really see why you want to visit Rotorua twice if you are not interested in thermal areas. Why not go directly from AKL to Taupo for 1N and then to Mt Maunganui on the 2nd day (which White Island tour are you taking?)

You could stay at Mt Maunganui or Ohope Beach for the 2nd & 3rd nights .

You mention driving from BoI to AKL the day before this side trip - are you aware that you needn't go back into Akld city if you stay in Orewa or Snells Beach just before the start of the Northern Motorway?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

hi zhuhai2007

it's not that we're not interested with thermal area but we surely don't want the scene to be too repetitive. we thought rotorua being the central and closer to Auckland since we need to catch the flight back to Auckland. staying at Mt Maunganui is a nice idea. we thought about that too before but decide to go back and stay at Rotorua instead. We're taking Peejay operator for the White Island Tour.

when we went up to BOI, we only bring our small cabin luggages and leave the big ones in the same hotel

California
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

You won't stink after soaking in Kerosene Creek. A towel will be all you need. It is in the shade, so no worries about it being too hot.

Aratiatia releases at 10, 12, and 2. In Summer there is also a 4pm release.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

Hi deSchenke,

thanks for the info, really looking forward for the dip in Kerosene Creek :)

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip

btw I just check the Aratiatia Rapids and on some websites it says that the dam could be opened at any given time. is this common especially in December during summer? Is there any website to check the dam opening daily?

also i wonder if 30 minutes before the last dam opening at 4pm in December would make it hard to find parking?

We would start driving around 2pm from Rotorua so thinking of getting to Aratiatia first or Huka Falls. the bad thing is Aratiatia has no WC facility.

Reply to: Recommendation for Surrounding Rotorua daytrip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rotorua
Recent Conversations