We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for five

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for five

We have planned on staying at Marama Resort outside of town because it looks like nice upscale accommodation that can accommodate us for under $300NZ a night.

Before we book, is there any other Rotorua accommodation around this price (no motor inns please) that can fit five people to a room. Connecting rooms usually are more expensive because we have to get two. For example, the Novotel is $240 a night for one room, but we need two so it becomes $480 a night for us.

Thanks for the help.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for five

Hi 1travel5MV, I assume you will have a vehicle as the Marama Resort is located at the other end of the lake a good 20 minutes from the city and 30 minutes from most of the activities- gondola, luge, Agrodome etc.

Just so you are aware (although it's not necessarily a bad thing) but the surrounding area is quite rural and rundown. This resort has had a few issues in the past (hopefully all sorted) so make sure all t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

You may want to look for a motel closer to town- motels in NZ do not have the same connotations as they do in the US. It's where most of NZ stays when they go on holiday. Clean tidy and self contained.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for five

Zappers,

Thank You for your reply. I assume you are referring to Regal Palms as an alternative. We have visited their website and although the rooms look really great and worthy of the 5 star rating, the outside does not look like it. The panorama on their site just looks to much like America's motels that have bad reputations and we don't really want to fly all that way to stay in something we would feel unhappy at. We would like the grounds to represent the rooms also. I don't know, maybe we are just having a hard time with the idea of a motel on our trip.

In reference to the area around Marama as dumpy, I don't mind rural, but I would not want to be out in an area where we are adjacent to trailer homes and shacks et... I know the Duxton Hotel is near it and that is high rated so I thought the area was nicer, maybe I'm wrong?

Any other ideas or hotels with large suites?

Thank You so much

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for five

Personally I wouldn't stay at any of the hotels in Rotorua, they are all the same- chain hotels with small pokey over priced rooms. But this is Rotorua- a huge turnover of visitors on a short term basis. I'm not sure how long you're in NZ for but it's going to work out very expensive with 5 of you if you aren't wanting to stay in motels or motor inns. These really are the majority of accommodation options in NZ.

NZ doesn't do "resorts" as you may be used to, here it can mean a pool and a playground and not much more, any accommodation can call themselves so and so resort, there are no standards to meet. A resort in NZ is not a destination, NZ scenery and activities are the destinations, if we want a resort holiday we head to the Pacific Islands.

No I wasn't just referring to Regal Palms, there are quite a few other places I would equally recommend. I can't quite crasp what you don't like about RP, please explain and this may help me point you in the right direction. It certainly doesn't have a "bad reputation" it wouldn't have a 5* rating if it did- and this is awarded according to standards!

Both the Duxton and Marama are in a slightly rundown rural area, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Personally I like the natural beauty of the area but I can see through the ramshackleness and it only takes me 30 minutes to get there not 30 hours and hundreds of $$!

NZ also doesn't do tralierparks like the States (or not too many that you would notice)

Hey, in the end it's your holiday and your decision.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for five

Thanks a lot Zappers,

We will be in Rotorua two nights of our NZ visit. We are combining this also with a visit to Australia and Fiji over 21 days. I understand what you mean about NZ scenery being the true destination. That is what we are most excited about, your country looks stunning!

I guess Rotorua is different accommodation wise than the other cities we are visiting. In Auckland for example we are staying at the Quay West Suites, which is hotel style, but we have a large two bedroom suite. Seeming I have seen so many places with two bedroom suites, I thought that was the norm. In Rotorua are motels just more frequent since it isn't as big a city?

At Regal Palms, do you pull your car up right to the door of your room and are the hallways exterior or interior?

If we were to start from scratch, which would be the top places you would recommend to us, regardless of whether or not they are a motel and I will look into them and consider all options. I think that would be better than getting into a debate on motels.

Thanks

Brad

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for five

Hi again Brad, I started to list some places for you to check out, then decided against it. I'm in two minds now because I'm beginning to feel that you'll find the Marama ok after all. There is nothing wrong with the resort itself (I haven't actually stayed there). As you're only there for a couple of nights and will be out and about all day I don't think you should be overly worried about the surrounding area- one plus is that Hells Gate is just down the road and you may also be able to find a local boatie to take the family across to the hot pools on Lake Rotoiti (these are only accesible by boat).

Of course there are no restaurants handy (other than the Duxton, a short drive away) but then again you may want to self cater.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for five

If you think we will be fine, I trust you. I know you have a good reputation for the NZ forums, so I can't thank you enough.

thanks,

Brad

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for five

Hi,

Just wondering if you have considered a self catering cottage or bed & breakfast? These are priced with quite a wide range. You may like to look at the website for athomeinrotorua.co.nz for a range of options.There is also a New Zealand website. Some Rotorua farmstays etc are closer to the attractions and restaurants than the resort you first mentioned.

Enjoy your stay in Rotorua.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for five

Brad, a couple of other things that are close to hand at that end of the lake-

Okere Falls (white water rafting leaves from here) There is a track that runs down to the falls where you can watch the rafts going over (if your timing is right) and if you check it out early evening there are glow worms on the bank overhangs in places along the track towards the end. Take a torch to find your way but obviously turn it off to see the worms.

Rather than head all the way back into town and through to the otherside if you're heading to the Agrodome & gondola etc, take the road around the back of the lake. Along this road is Hamurama a tiny settlement, take a walk here through a Redwood grove up to a beautiful spring that feeds into lake Rotorua. The water is crystal clear and their are usually lots of trout and birdlife.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for five

We were planning on seeing Okere Falls, but thanks for telling us to go at night! We wanted to see glowworms since we are going to skip Waitomo (isn't worth the drive just for worms, and we have plenty of good cave formations here). We'll probably stop at that Redwood area also on our way back from the Agrodome/ Luge.

As far as thermal areas, I picked Wai-O Tapu and Waimangu to do in one day. We'll start early to see Lady Know at Wai-O. Do you think these are the best two of the thermal parks? I know Whakarewarewa is closest, but it also looks the least unique. We will also be doing the Mitai Culture Show and Dinner, is this one good?

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation for five

You've obviously done your homework- all your choices are exactly what I would have recommended. Wai-o-tapu (I would rate slightly ahead of Waimungu) is further on past Waimungu and you may find that one thermal park will be enough in which case you can decide to Waimungu a miss and head on back to Rotorua. There are "free" bubbling mud pools on the loop road into Wai-o-tapu that you can visit as well.

If you're keen take your togs(swimsuit) and visit Kerosene Creek, a hot water stream in the middle of the bush. There is a swimming hole a little way off the road. Under no circumstances put your heads under the water here or in any of the thermal hot pools(amoebic meningitis-http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pagesmh/4350?Open).

The road to KC is the last one off to the left just before Wai-o-tapu, it's gravel and looks very non-descript.

www.nzhotpools.co.nz/hotpool_details.php…

I beleive you can also see glow-worms if you take the organised walk through the bush after the Mitai show.