We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maori for 7 year olds

Which Rotorua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maori for 7 year olds

We only have a day and a half in Rotorua. We are traveling by caravan with our 7 year old twins. During the full day there, my husband will be going sledging. Since the kids can't sledge, I wanted to take them to do something. I was thinking of going to Whakarewara to see some Maori culture that my husband woudn't be interested in.

I've read good reviews of Mitai, but poor reviews for Whakarewara. But I like the idea that we could do a show and hangi during the day (versus having them fall asleep during the night show). I also want an experience where it's more hands on.

Has anyone been to the village? Would it be good for young kids?

Thanks for any help!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maori for 7 year olds

Take them to Te Puia (next door to Whakarewarewa), it has a lot of everything- maori culture, bubbling mud, geysers, steam, hangi, show etc.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maori for 7 year olds

IMO Whakarewarewa is a crock of sh***t.

It is promoted as a living Maori village. Well it is, if Maori life consists of living in a crappy house, surrounded by broken down cars and clapped out caravans.

If you wanted to promote the stereotype of Maori life, then Whakarewarea would be the prime example.

I just can't believe that they are still charging people to visit this travesty of Maori culture.

3. Re: Maori for 7 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 02:18